PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition

Swimmy
May 25th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Hi

I am competing in my first open water event(1 mile) this summer.Does anyone have any advice about nutrition? What are good foods to eat before the race?

Thanks!

Rob Copeland
May 25th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Iím a fan of bananas and bagels an hour or so before morning races, along with my morning coffee and pre-race Accelerade (like Gatorade). For afternoon or evening races I eat normal meals, staying away from greasy or spicy foods and again I make sure I am well hydrated.

For a mile race, there is no need to carbo-load or super-hydrate. And whatever you plan to eat before the race, you should try eating/drinking the same thing before a few practices to see how it sits with you. Never try some new food or drink just before a race, there are plenty of stories of folks who tried someoneís wonder solution just before a race, only to find it had mysterious GI side effects.

GOOD LUCK!!

And have fun!

Perkunas
May 25th, 2004, 07:27 PM
You know your body the best, go with the foods that work for you. Oatmeal works well for me before either training or competing. I wash it down with Orange Juice. Different things work for different people. I've heard one swear that day-old Pepsi worked for him, and another that wouldn't compete without first drinking a can of Slimfast. Try different things before you train to learn what's effective for you.

butterflybeer
May 26th, 2004, 04:25 PM
I swim with a guy who will only eat pizza the night before a meet. I don't remember if it is a certain kind. However, he says he needs the 'stick-to-your-ribs' feeling he gets from a pizza.

mattson
May 27th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by butterflybeer
I swim with a guy who will only eat pizza the night before a meet. I don't remember if it is a certain kind. However, he says he needs the 'stick-to-your-ribs' feeling he gets from a pizza.

I agree with that "stick-to-your-ribs" feeling. Unfortunately, there are some brands of pizza that are more like "rock-in-your-stomach". :eek:

Swimmy
May 27th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the great ideas. Some are more appetizing than others. I think I am leaning toward the bagel and banana.
Happy swimming everyone!

2go+h20
June 5th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Experiment with what food works for you. Once you have found the answer stick to it. Train on it. Train on the pre race fuel you may take.
Don't forget the Golden Rule.
Never Do Anything New on Race Day.:)

Swimmy
June 13th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the help! I did the 1 Mile Chesapeake Bay Challenge today. It was great.