PDA

View Full Version : Dressed for Success

shipleywm
May 27th, 2004, 02:10 PM
With two new hydrodynamic race suits coming out (Speedo's Fast Skin II and TYR's Aqua Shift), do you plan on wearing either for a future championship meet? Which do you think you'll choose? Is there anyone considering combing the two (sleeveless Fast Skin II with TYR's Aqua Bands)?

Conniekat8
May 27th, 2004, 11:58 PM
I love my Tyr Aquapel female short john.
At my level, anything fancier than that would be a waste.

DocWhoRocks
September 13th, 2004, 10:52 AM
I'm old n' slow. Spending a few hundred on a suit to maybe drop a couple tenths isn't worth the $$$ for me.

Also I don't agree the suits should be legal. I feel they add buoyancy. But that's anohter thread.

aquageek
September 13th, 2004, 10:59 AM
I'm not sure how these suits add buoyancy as they are paper thin.

Guvnah
September 13th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by aquageek

When you break wind, they keep it from escaping. The longer you wear them, the greater the effect.

DocWhoRocks
September 13th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by aquageek

I float better when I wear one.

craiglll@yahoo.com
September 14th, 2004, 11:26 AM
I thought that the suits were to help you flow through the water. Any floating that comes from them should be accidental, maybe. Aren't they suppose to help you move the water back? Also, isn't some drag necessary to move forward. It seems that in Swimming fastest & Colville both say one type of drag is how you move. I am terrible at understanding motion so I can't describe the one that works to move you forward. I;'ve worm Fastskin I and it did seem to be good.

Bill, it says that you live in Houston but are a member of CMSA. How can that be? When I was visiting brother & sisters in Houston, I tried to find the pool where the H2O work out. I couldn't find it. I was really lost. Drove around for almost 2 hours. Ended up inRiver Oaks on a private street with a security guard mad at me. My brother lives n Bellfort Ave. I thought it would be easy to find the school but couldn't

DocWhoRocks
September 14th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
I thought that the suits were to help you flow through the water. Any floating that comes from them should be accidental, maybe.

Right the suits are designed to flow through the water better. Some areas are smoother than skin/channel water while other areas are designed to catch/create more drag than skin. Thus giving you better gliding & pulling areas.

The added buoyancy should be accidental. But if something adds buoyancy it's supposed to be illegal. Thus my problem with the suits. But maybe it's just me (I don't float) that gains buoyancy when wearing such a suit.

mattson
September 17th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
Bill, it says that you live in Houston but are a member of CMSA. How can that be?

He moved. :D (And didn't change his team.)

emmett
September 17th, 2004, 11:21 AM
USMS places no restriction on which LMSC a person registers in, nor which team a person affiliates with (except that it must be a team registered in that same LMSC).

maori
September 17th, 2004, 02:52 PM
i use Diana Submerine, is incredible.

nkfrench
August 5th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Irony: the swimmers who could benefit the most from a competition suit that provides compression can't find a suit in their size.

Guvnah
August 5th, 2005, 01:45 PM
I just don't have the disposable cash to spend more than the $10/suit I get through catalogue grab-bags.

Jeff Commings
August 5th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Since the Aquablade came out, I've never worn anything else. Have no need for Fastskins, and as a breaststroker, I like the feel of the water rushing from my thighs to my feet as I kick. Only my Aquablade brief can do that.

I'll probably be in heats of many men with the latest and greatest suits on the market. So what. It doesn't mean a thing if you haven't put the work in.

And I don't mind shaving. Put in a good CD that lasts an hour, and I'm set.

hmlee
August 5th, 2005, 09:32 PM
I'll wear whatever my University team dictates that I wear, haha.

PeirsolFan
August 7th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by DocWhoRocks
I'm old n' slow. Spending a few hundred on a suit to maybe drop a couple tenths isn't worth the $$$ for me.

Also I don't agree the suits should be legal. I feel they add buoyancy. But that's anohter thread.

There's a heated debate over that very issue - whether or
not FINA should consider them "performance enhancing". I'm
on the fence about it, but definately agree that $200 isn't
worth it.

Nsiceman
August 12th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Unless you get them for free, Fastskins are not that worth it. They really only last for a few races before they lose their effectiveness, and work best when they are dry before the race. That does not really make it worth it for a Master's swimmer. I am not sure about how the other swim suit companies suits work, only Speedo. My only fastskins were provided to me and while they were great, I have more important things to spend $$$.

They do not help you drop that much time and aquablade is good enough and cost a lot less $$$.