PDA

View Full Version : no more interest in swimming

greenhairchica
May 28th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Hello everyone! As much as I hate to say this, i have lost my intersest in swimming. I dont want to quite but it's just not fun anymore. Please help me! thank you!

~*P-nut~

Howard
May 28th, 2004, 10:56 AM
How about a little more information. Female from Florida doesn't give anyone much to go on. Are you a USMS swimmer? How long have you been swimming? How much? Do you swim with a group or by yourself? What kind of workouts do you do? Do you compete?

You don't want to quit but it's no fun. What's changed?

swimrat
May 28th, 2004, 11:03 AM
I think everyone goes through that at one time or another. I think it's a good thing cause you can calm down the swim and do other things and when you do that you find you miss it and love to get back into the pool. Maybe it's a welcome change. I know mine was. Good luck.

Kelli,

jim clemmons
May 28th, 2004, 02:54 PM
NO GOALS! :(

You need to set goals or you will not find "anything" challenging and will lose interest in anything you do.

This is true for work, recreation or anything else you participate in (in my opinion).

They (the goals) can be number of practices per week, times in events, weight loss, etc.

But, you MUST have goals.

Jim

Tom Ellison
May 28th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Jim hit the proverbial nail directly on the head when he wrote about goals. Without goals to guide you, motivate you and assist you in keeping focused on the mission, you will be lost.

If I may, I want to share a part of a very sad but perhaps motivating story that may help guide you through this process. Two or three years ago I was a committed, dedicated hard working competitive swimmer. I then suffered through a very painful divorce and subsequent battle with depression which caused me to lose interest in swimming (and a few other things as well). I partly walked away for it was simply to painful to see my old friends and team mates who knew me as I once was, and not the broken man who now fought for his life on a daily basis. Within that maze of pain, suffering and depression I learned that the very people I was apart from were in fact the very people I needed to be around the most. Fellow swimmers, team mates and swimming friends and the camaraderie associated with USMS is a fundamental (and essential) foundation of our sport. We need one another in ways far deeper then simply swimming together.

Find people to swim with, to enjoy, to share your life with, to compete against, to understand, to be understood and to help you stay focused on swimming for good health and a positive life style. I found that swimming is much more then water, goggles and hard work….it is much, much more then that….I may not be capable of overcoming the damage I did to my body these past few years, but I do know this, I am giving it one heck of a whack. Where I used to hold 1:05’s to 1:08’s on repeat sets of 100 SCY free with 10 to 15 seconds rest, I now hold 1:30’s (or more) going on 2:00. But, I am back in the water, and that is exactly where I belong.

Lastly, remember that Masters Swimming is not defined by results, it is defined by the journey….

Good luck...and keep after it.....
Kindest regards,
Tom Ellison

sparx35
May 28th, 2004, 04:41 PM
try altering when you go swimming and try to vary what you do...if you sprint then do some distance and vice versa...only swim for the time you enjoy...dont swim when you are feeling tired..save it for tommorrow,you'll swim better when fresh.Dont be too hard on yourself,you may just need to rest then get back to it after a few weeks...gud luk

greenhairchica
May 28th, 2004, 04:56 PM
im on a competitive team in Florida! Dytona Beach Swimming to be exact. im still young and think that being on this swim team has been the best thing that has ever happened to me! i hope this helps.

~*p-nut*~:D

Domene
May 28th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by greenhairchica
im on a competitive team in Florida! Dytona Beach Swimming to be exact. im still young and think that being on this swim team has been the best thing that has ever happened to me! i hope this helps.

~*p-nut*~:D

This sounds like overtraining to me.

Talk about that with your coach.