PDA

View Full Version : learn new tricks!!!!!!

sparx35
May 28th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Whats the best thing you've ever learnt to do when swimming..i think the thing that helped me was less strokes per length(stroke count)?

k140j
May 28th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Hey! Fun question for this relative newbie swimmer. I JUST learned that I shouldn't exhale the entire time my face is under the water, or else my buoyancy level drops; I should "explosively" exhale (my description) just before breathing. That keeps me higher in the water. Is that right? Or was someone making that up?

I also was just told that on butterfly, I should imagine a tennis ball under my chin and that I should try to hold it there throughout the stroke. Of course, I don't get to look at the end of the pool when I do that, but it's been interesting trying to make that change.

Maddie Crippen (an Olympian who trains at my pool - gosh I'm lucky.......) was "coaching" a triathlete at the pool this morning and she suggested that the swimmer imagine that he was in a box; every movement of his stroke should stay in that box (I suppose to avoid windmilling and going to deep after the catch and staying long and strong). Does that sound right? Of course, the box that I imagine is a coffin; anyone else have a better idea?????

Of course, I believe it was Mr. Hines who suggested that, when streamlining, imagine that your top hand is covering the wristwatch on the bottom hand (to keep wrist over wrist, I suppose). I LOVE that one; I believe he also said that, no matter how lousy a swimmer you are, if you have a beautiful streamline, you'll impress everyone on the pool deck. Now THERE's a useful tip!!!

And, finally, just *this* year, I was taught the female trick of the trade to going to the bathroom without taking off a wet tight racing suit. I suspect I was the only female on the planet who struggled for 10 minutes trying to pull up a wet suit after doing her little business, but let me know privately if you don't know this trick;)

Kathy

Conniekat8
May 28th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by sparx35
Whats the best thing you've ever learnt to do when swimming..i think the thing that helped me was less strokes per length(stroke count)?

Every time I take one of the clinics my coach offers, I come away with a new bag of tricks.

Bob McAdams
May 28th, 2004, 07:37 PM
The most important thing I ever learned was that balance and streamlining are more important than power when you're trying to go fast in the water.

DocWhoRocks
June 1st, 2004, 12:10 PM
For me it was keeping my elbows high on the underwater portion of my fr. stroke. Helped a lot with with tendonitous (sp?). Coach told me to think of it as reaching over a barrel.

Good flip turns/long streamline was another big improvement that helped me out.

butterflybeer
June 1st, 2004, 06:08 PM
In line with what Bob just mentioned, the most important thing I have learned is:

(swimming speed)^2 = drag

There are really only 2 ways to swim faster. You can increase the propulsive force and/or reduce drag. By far, the most efficient way is to reduce drag. A swimmer who has a little less drag can swim faster than a swimmer who applies a much greater propulsive force on the water (other variables being equal of course).

Tom Ellison
June 2nd, 2004, 10:59 AM
That I had to get in the water.....

Scansy
June 3rd, 2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Tom Ellison
That I had to get in the water.....

Absolutely.

The best thing I learned is to do a proper pullout on breaststroke. It made my breast faster and also helped to increase my lung capacity. My freestyle streamline got much better as a result too.

par
June 12th, 2004, 06:29 PM
As of lately, the "Hands and hip connection" focus point in coach Hines' Fitness Swimming to let your hips pull with them your arms, instead of having each work on their own.

pmbchill
June 12th, 2004, 09:27 PM
One thing I try to remember is that when you dive in AND push off the wall, you get a burst of speed. Use that speed. Don't blow it by putting on the brakes. Stay streamline.