PDA

View Full Version : fly and breast flips

Lori Payne
May 31st, 2004, 08:54 AM
Is anyone doing the flips on the short axis strokes? How does one do these efficiently? I either hit the wall or bounce back too far....

JC_FLY
May 31st, 2004, 02:00 PM
I flip on fly, not breast

aztimm
May 31st, 2004, 02:02 PM
I didn't think flip turns were allowed for either breast or fly (or for that matter when changing strokes in an IM). I've competed in all the breast distances in several meets, and always had to touch both hands to the wall at the same time when turning.

Is there a new flip that is allowed? If so, please share the details.

Thanks.

Tim

joy
May 31st, 2004, 03:36 PM
The only time, that I know of, when a flip turn is legal, is in the IM when u come in on backstroke u have to touch and do a complete backwards summersalt to your front and come off the wall into a breastroke pull out. U cannot flip in a breaststroke race or butterfly race. They have to be 2 handed simultaneouly touch on the turns and the finish. The USMS Rule book should give u all this info also. Good luck in learning the new, old flip turn. It does take alot of practice to do it smoothly with no waste of time.

CammyFly
May 31st, 2004, 04:06 PM
Actually you can flip on fly and breast after you touch the wall legally (Simultaneous two hand touch) But it does take some practice.

Lori Payne
May 31st, 2004, 08:25 PM
I had first seen these turns done at the Big 12 Championship meet this year.I DID NOT see any one of us doing it at USMS Natl's at Indy.It is being taught however.When I mentioned it to my Mom,she said they had done the same turns many moons ago,when she was little!
So...........we are back to how,what when and not why,(obviously when done correctly,they are faster than the standard turns) Lori

Any coaches out there??

Allen Stark
May 31st, 2004, 09:21 PM
Yes, it's legal.You must touch with both hands before your feet touch & that means you are almost always jammed in to close,but for some swimmers it's faster. That advantage is slight & almost always lost to the reality of not getting a breath on the turn & therefore not getting the maximum from your underwater phase.

DocWhoRocks
June 1st, 2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Allen Stark
That advantage is slight & almost always lost to the reality of not getting a breath on the turn & therefore not getting the maximum from your underwater phase.

That's what I've experienced. I tried them in practice for about a month. I didn't like them. They may have been slightly faster, but I went into O2 debt much quicker. For now I'll stick the traditional turn.