PDA

View Full Version : Triathlon Help

Shannon Floyd
June 3rd, 2004, 05:57 PM
Hello,

I'm kind of new here and I need some help. I am trying to train for a triathlon in September. I'm not sure were to start with swimming. I use to swim competively when I was younger but have pretty much forgotten everything. Can someone tell me where to start? I also just had knee surgery so I am looking for something that is just going to help me build up some endurance.

Thanks in advance!

Rob Copeland
June 3rd, 2004, 10:20 PM
Shannon,

First the good news – since you used to be a competitive swimmer (regardless of how much you forgot) you have a huge advantage over those just getting started for the first time.

My suggestion is that you find a local masters club in your area, look at the USMS places to swim on USMS.org. The best way to get started is to get started. It doesn’t matter what shape you are in right now, getting involved with a coach and a club will push you to improve and the coach can help fix any problems that have crept into your stroke over the years of inactivity.

If you can’t find any program in the places to swim, you can let us know where yo live and someone the forum may be able to help you find a group.

Shannon Floyd
June 5th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Rob,

Thanks for the reply! The only Master's program is about 40 minutes away. I am working under some pretty serious time constraints. I just graduated from law school and am studying for the bar and I have a 3 month old and a 2 year old. I thought training for a triathlon would be a nice stress release. I think I am ready to start swimming and my gym does have a pool, I'm just not sure where to start or how. I looked at the workouts posted but honestly I don't remember all of the abbreviations. If you have any ideas as to how to start training please let me know. Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated!

Rob Copeland
June 7th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Shannon

Definitions for the abbreviations in the workouts, should all be in a thread called “Important:…” at the top of each of the 3 workout forums.

And the best way to start is to get in the pool! Once you’re in, then I would suggest first working on technique (a coach is a real help with this but you can do stroke drills from this and other web sites to help); second working on endurance (work up to where you can complete one of the forum workouts and then work up to the harder workouts); third working on speed.

ssoucie
June 16th, 2004, 07:35 AM
You have some good advise already. Just a few more things, it is already in the middle of triathlon season. What distance are you doing and is it off road or on? You need to get some base yardage in whether or not you have a coach. You can do this by swimming sets of nothing less than 100 and rests between 5 and 45 seconds. Do not worry about turns or starts yet, tri's are straight and long.
Please let me know your progress. Good Luck and have fun.

Damage Inc
June 21st, 2004, 11:54 AM
Shannon,
I also stared back swimming when my kids were 3 mo and 2 years. I swam at first by myself without a coach at my gym. Not the best way but it was better than staying at home thinking about it. I found the best thing for me was to swim in the morning before work when the kids and my wife were asleep. My work schedule is such that I work 6-16 hr days so I am only regular and refreshed in the morning. I started with 3-4 times a week, and a basic set routine, not a lot of variation at first. I did a 400 yd free warm up. 100-200 yd kick set. 5-10 x 50s free working on good technique, not speed. Main set of 5-10 x 100 yd free or 5 x 200yd free. Then an easy warm down. If there is not a timing clock at your gym use a watch, so that you can do your swims on an interval. Interval training is nice as you can see yourself improving as your times get faster and you need to make your intervals faster as you improve. After a week or two you will be ready to increase your yardage and add some variation to your work outs.
Good luck

towens
June 23rd, 2004, 05:13 PM
Hi Shannon ~
There's a website out there for new triathletes. Go to www.trinewbies.com. Click on trisports on the top and they have swim workouts posted. They break them down into beginners, intermediate and advanced. I used some of the workouts last summer because I was swimming laps by myself. I really found it useful. Have fun & good luck!:D