PDA

View Full Version : Open Water Training

kenznmeg
June 7th, 2004, 05:22 PM
I was a competitive swimmer for 13 years, but have not been in the pool much in the last 10 years. Yesterday i watched my boyfriend complete his 2nd marathon and I was inspired to look into an open water swim. I have not done one since I was 8.

I was hoping someone could post or forward me a program with workouts that starts in he pool and gradually eases me into the ocean. I have looked at other posts and have not found workouts that have really inspired me. I have about 3 months until the local open water. I am in pretty good shape, but need to ease myself back into the pool.

Thanks.

Rob Copeland
June 8th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Most of the workouts posted in the Workouts forum should be able to get you in shape to complete in most of the shorter open water races(0.5 to 3 mile). You didnít say how long your goal race was, so itís difficult to come up with specific suggestions. The biggest thing is to get in the water and train to regain your technique and endurance, working on distance per stroke and navigation.

One navigation/sighting drill I suggest is to swim 10X100s breathing every 3 strokes and after each breath look to the end of the pool, spotting some object. Practice this drill until you can do this without interruption in your stroke cycle. Note: I prefer to sight at the end of my breath where I just rotate eyes forward then down; others prefer to pick their head up at the beginning of the breath, this has a tendency to lower my hips, but is seems to work for some. Do what ever works best for you.

Leonard Jansen
June 8th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Rob Copeland
Note: I prefer to sight at the end of my breath where I just rotate eyes forward then down

Nice trick! Tried it at my lunchtime swim today and, although there were some coordination issues, it did seem a little less stressful than the usual way. Thanks!

-LBJ

geochuck
July 15th, 2004, 04:41 PM
When I swam the Marathon races from 10 to twenty five miles I did train over one hr, two hrs and never more than three hours at a time

2go+h20
July 15th, 2004, 06:19 PM
geochuck,
How about the 26km Aug 13th Lake Cowichan Marathon swim??
It's a great swim.
For info email iamkiwi2004@yahoo.ca

geochuck
July 15th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Rob Copeland
The biggest thing is to get in the water and train to regain your technique and endurance, working on distance per stroke and navigation.
I was lost during a storm swimming accross Lac St Jean in Quebec the waves were so high you could not sight on anything. I spotted smoke in the air and headed for it. After swimming for a while an airplane started circling over head and after that a power boat showed up. They said follow us George and we will get you to the finish. As I approached the finish line the airplane that found me crashed into the lake with one survivor.... a baby. George Park www.swimdownhill.com