PDA

View Full Version : swim caps

sefswim
June 10th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Got a question for everybody out there on the use of caps. How much drag do they really cut down. I never use one in practice cause I hate the feeling but I use them in meets. My son is the same way. Is it really worth using them in meets? I just don't like them

msgrupp
June 10th, 2004, 05:50 PM
I always wore a cap for competition. I used to go bareheaded for other swimming. After a number of ear infections (swimmer's ear) I started wearing a cap at all times. Result--no more ear infections!
Didn't matter which pool I was swimming in--either an outdoor pool or an indoor pool---always got ear infections.

Susan
June 10th, 2004, 09:19 PM
I think caps definitely help keep water out of your ears. I never used to wear a cap either, but you get used to it and it doesn't feel right without one. It may be my imagination, but I think it increases the buoyancy of my head, so that when I push my head down into the water, it seems like my legs ride higher in the water. Maybe I just have some air trapped in the cap. I don't know if the resulting improved body position would increase speed or not, but it's possible.

swimshark
June 11th, 2004, 01:12 PM
When we do vertical kicking and have to hold our arms straight above us, I use the small pocket of air in my cap to keep me floating. It's amazing what one will use to keep from going under. :D

aztimm
June 11th, 2004, 06:29 PM
I've tried wearing caps from time to time, but they never seemed to fit well. I've tried all kinds... So if there's a meet coming, I just get my hair cut real short. Did anyone say how much drag the cap cuts down on?

Strangely, while visiting Japan a few years back, EVERYONE had to wear a cap while swimming at many pools there, so I had to also. Felt strange, but such is live. They also didn't allow you to wrap a towel around your waist and walk around (they don't know if you have anything on under the towel).

By the way, you're from Drums, PA? Where do you swim? I'm originally from Mountain Top (just up Rte 309), and seem to miss workouts when I go back for visits.

Tim Murphy