PDA

View Full Version : Summer Swimming Reads

scolopax
June 16th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Swimming to Antarctica

Did anyone else read this book by Lynn Cox? She is an amazing swimmer-- it is a very interesting read. There was one section near the begining where she talks about swimming outside during a storm that I could really relate to.

Any other good books out there? I need something new.

salgut
June 16th, 2004, 11:22 AM
I also really liked Swimming to Antartica....I found it very inspirational. It is very well written and you really get drawn into the reading....I rarely set it down over the 1 1/2 days I spent reading it.

I have some other recommendations...although the books are not new books and some of them might take a little digging around to find:

Gold in the Water - P. H. Mullen Jr.
By a Fraction of a Second - Lois Ruskai Melina
The 50-meter Jungle - Sherman Chevoor-- this is out of print and kind of hard to get hold of--- but it's REALLY worth reading --- written by the coach of Arden Hills Swim Club in Sacramento in the 60's and 70's ---he coached the Ferris kids, as well as Mark Spitz, Debbie Myer, and Mike Burtton. (I think I have a personal connection to this one because I swam in Sacramento in the 60's - although I didn't swim for Arden Hills...if I had I would probably be a better swimmer!)

My two favorites are actually "Gold" and "The 50-meter Jungle"

You may have already read "gold" (most everyone has)....if not I really recommend it.

Sally Guthrie

knelson
June 16th, 2004, 12:19 PM
I just got "Four Champions, One Gold Medal" but haven't read it yet.

I agree "Gold in the Water" is a good read.