PDA

View Full Version : total hip replacements and racing

susanne
June 28th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Hi all of you swimmers out there.
I am a 66 year old female competitive swimmer and will have a total hip replacement next month. I would love to hear from any of you with info re if and how this surgery altered, impeded, helped your swimming, especially breast stroke sprinting. At present my hip has cut down on my swimming drasticallyand I would love to train hard again and compete in hte next Short Course Nationals. I would really appreciate any response. Thank you
Susanne

Rob Copeland
June 29th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Susanne,

I have not undergone hip replacement, but I have swum with a couple of folks who have.

And from what I can see, the surgery has definitely help. One gentleman I swim with, had a hip replaced earlier this year, and is now able to kick breaststroke faster than before and with little or no pain. It took him a couple of weeks of recovery before he got back in the pool and 4 or 5 more before he really started pushing it again.

His only regret was that he took so long before having the surgery.

Good LUCK and a speedy recovery!

Msparks378
June 30th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Susanne - I used to swim with a gentlemen who had both knees replaced! Good luck and God Speed!

M

susanne
June 30th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Hi dear Rob, Micheal and M-
thank you so very much for your replies, support, advice and good wishes. What a treat to have a community out there I can write to and get a response within 24 hours. I so appreciate it.
One more question I have is how about flipturns and starts? Not so important in open water but very important in sprinting. How long did it take you bionic people to do a good start?
Thanks again and best to you
Susanne

Betsy
July 3rd, 2004, 02:55 PM
Susanne,
If you send me your email address, I can put you in touch with several swimmers who have had hip replacements are are swimming well.
Betsy Durrant
Planning@usms.org

susanne
July 3rd, 2004, 07:13 PM
Hi Betsy -
thanks for the note - I would love it. Tried to email you but message would not send.
My email is suschu@comcast.net
Thanks Susanne