PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Fog Question from a Newbie

swimmer_steph
July 1st, 2004, 06:09 AM
Hello:

I'm a newbie swimmer and just found this forum. Please forgive my ignorance by asking this question, but I am stumped:

I'm swimming laps indoors for exercise and I cannot, for the life of me, find anything to reduce the fog on my goggles. I wear Rocket Sockets by TYR and I've tried using Goggle Bright which was purchased at a local dive shop and it doesn't work for me at all. :(

I'm so frustrated b/c I'm quickly falling in love w/swimming but this one problem is driving my crazy; any suggestions for this girl?

Thanks so much,

Steph

:)

Rob Copeland
July 1st, 2004, 09:09 AM
Steph,

I suggest you put a drop of baby shampoo into the inside of each lens and rub it around with a finger to coat the lens, leaving the shampoo on while you swim.

There have been many posts in the past on this topic. You can search the archives for more remedies.

aquageek
July 1st, 2004, 09:52 AM
OK, so it's not just me. My Socket Rockets fog terribly. Any other goggles and good ole spit just works fine. I gave up and switched goggles for workouts.

Alicat
July 1st, 2004, 10:42 AM
I am old fashioned...

Lick the interior of the lenses, the salvia will help with fogging...

aschueler
July 1st, 2004, 12:51 PM
You may lick your goggles; I spit on mine...

Baby shampoo is probably the least 'unattractive' way to do it ... anti fog stuff you buy in stores is just soap anyway, or so I understand.

scolopax
July 1st, 2004, 01:08 PM
leave a little bit of water in the goggles and shake your head to clear... works for me

Sonic Swimmer78
July 1st, 2004, 03:16 PM
I use Aquaspere Goggles because of their excellent visual range and sometimes suffer from fogging as well. Usually I just remove them and dunk them in the water to clear them out. I've never tried the remedies posted here, but I might give them a try.

sparx35
July 1st, 2004, 05:38 PM
as mentioned there have been an abundance of threads on this subject and i think you'd enjoy some of the older ones...do a search on goggles...personally i put spit on my finger then rub it around the inner lenses!!!!i've found that the hotter you get..the more fog is produced..so hot pools don't help...

Waz
July 2nd, 2004, 04:56 AM
I bought arena goggles and for once, went thru the little leaflet that come with..

To my surprise, the instructions was to keep the goggles completely dry and wear them. They said it's made out of some plastic polymer that would keep fog away if it stays dry and vice versa...

Well, it works!

Wael

jim clemmons
July 2nd, 2004, 01:48 PM
After exiting the pool, 1 pump of Speedo anti-fog after rinsing with sink water (or shower water, whatever) does the trick.

DO NOT TOUCH the lenses at anytime with fingers (with or without spit!) or paper, inside or outside, as that will lead to scratching the lens.

You should get about 6 months of clear viewing (up to 10 lanes away) from TYR, Speedo or View goggles.

Seriously, this has been working for me for 5 years now.

Jim

jim clemmons
July 2nd, 2004, 01:52 PM
Oh! One other thought:

I keep mine stored (when not being worn) in the original case (always) and NEVER, EVER leave them on the pool deck.

londoner62
July 2nd, 2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by jim clemmons
NEVER, EVER leave them on the pool deck.
Does this include not ripping them off and throwing them against the wall after a most miserable swim that you were so confident going into!

jim clemmons
July 2nd, 2004, 02:06 PM
Oh, absolutely! It wasn't the goggles fault! It was the suit. Take the suit off and throw IT against the wall! :eek:

knelson
July 2nd, 2004, 02:23 PM
I don't ever recall having a problem with goggles fogging while I'm wearing them. Maybe it's something you just get used to over time? If you put them up on your forehead, yes they will fog like a mother :)

Bob McAdams
July 2nd, 2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Waz
I bought arena goggles and for once, went thru the little leaflet that come with..

To my surprise, the instructions was to keep the goggles completely dry and wear them. They said it's made out of some plastic polymer that would keep fog away if it stays dry and vice versa...

Well, it works!

Wael

I think that explains my problem. I've been making the mistake of wearing my goggles when I go in the water.

apfann
July 2nd, 2004, 04:21 PM
Another one in the 'just as good as soap' vein....

Try a foam shaving cream.
Coat the lens and wipe off.

Works with bathroom mirrors too.

pmbchill
July 2nd, 2004, 05:18 PM
I find that a tomato juice bath.....no wait, that's for when your dog gets sprayed by a skunk. Sorry!

swimmer_steph
July 2nd, 2004, 05:19 PM
Thank you each v. much for your words of wisdom. As a newbie to this forum, I was hoping I wasn't going to get flamed for asking what some might consider such a novice question.

I will try everything mentioned above since there is no way I'm giving up swimming; I've become addicted!

Thanks again,

Steph :)

londoner62
July 2nd, 2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by swimmer_steph

I will try everything mentioned above since there is no way I'm giving up swimming
Steph :)
Just make sure you throw them with passion!!!!!

swimmer_steph
July 2nd, 2004, 05:33 PM
Promise! :D

Janis
July 2nd, 2004, 08:13 PM
I use Water Gear's antifog which I think is a soap anyway. The baby shampoo works best as well as the Water Gear stuff if you put the dot on each lens while they are dry and smear if around. I rinse them in the water before putting on that seems to work for me.

dcarson
July 10th, 2004, 02:45 PM
At the trials, I noticed most, if not all, swimmers put on dry goggles for the competition. I tried that this morning and my goggles stayed fog free for a lot more laps before starting to fog than usual. I guess for competition, putting on dry goggles will do the trick (for any sprint race that is).

Jim - THANKS for the suggestion of using Speedo anti-fog. I have tried it but I obviously didn't follow the directions.