PDA

View Full Version : what do you do to get pumped up for a race?

dreamer
July 6th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Hey everyone!

What do y'all do to get amped for a race? (listen to music, read, etc) Any superstitions/rituals? I have to have my cd player chock full o good tunes.

Glenn
July 6th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Just leave me alone!!!

Alicat
July 7th, 2004, 02:31 PM
I tend to visualize my swim, or pretend I am swimming against some really awesome athletes --usually in the next lane.

Music is great too!

pmbchill
July 7th, 2004, 06:49 PM
I watch the 80 year old women do whatever event I'm about to do and then I'm assured that I'll be just fine! What an inspiration!

coach guy
July 8th, 2004, 02:25 PM
I listen to music. Nothing gets me pumped up more than Slayer (the louder the better)

ande
May 12th, 2005, 04:28 PM
i psyche myself up.

I make that swim matter more.
I intensely prepare for it

ande

Originally posted by dreamer
Hey everyone!

What do y'all do to get amped for a race? (listen to music, read, etc) Any superstitions/rituals? I have to have my cd player chock full o good tunes.

Seagurl51
May 12th, 2005, 08:05 PM
I stare down the pool...trying to get it into submission like a dog. haha just kidding...kind of. I stare at the water and just zone out. I think about how I want to swim. I picture myself doing the perfect stroke and then think "You know it's really not that far to the other end." I try to keep myself calm, and make sure to just be totally in the moment. I also like to pretend that I'm the best swimmer the world has ever seen. "And the crowd goes wild.....hhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaa!!!!"

And before I get on the blocks I dance to the music in my head to loosen up.

jim clemmons
May 12th, 2005, 08:38 PM
You need to mentally swim it well for a week (or more) in advance of the actual event.

A number of mental swims every day. Mentally well every time.

Mental, mental, mental, mentally well.

Jim

(Maybe Ande'll make a song out of it.) :)