PDA

View Full Version : Aug 1 St Charles Meet

dsaslong
July 9th, 2004, 12:14 PM
This is the meet director for the 1st Long Course meet at the St Charles indoor pool. To date I have not received one entry. I hope I do not have to cancel the meet as many have expressed interest in a Long Course Masters meet. I know there is a deadline for entries but with a small number of entries we will probably not have a meet program so entries can go to the day of the meet. Get your entries in and we will hold a successful meet.

Hope to see all that expressed an interest in holding the meet.

Cheers

Doug Long

mattson
July 9th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Hey Doug, in the other thread, Nadine suggested volunteering to help measure the pool length (for top ten times). If you just need an extra body, before and/or after the meet, send me a PM. If you need some actual skill, I don't know a thing about USMS pool measuring techniques. :)

NKMD
July 9th, 2004, 10:37 PM
CMSA has a steel tape measure to use to measure competition pools.

Here is the link of the form to measure the pool.
you will need 2 forms, one before for all lanes, then the second for after the meet. since there is a bulkhead wall.

http://www.usms.org/rules/appb.pdf

To measure the pool,
get a steel tape measure (fiberglass is NOT acceptable) that is 200 feet long

Measure in metrics if you can, or make sure you convert yards 164 ft 1/2 inch correctly to meters 50.00 meters and the distance is correct.

To measure 50 meters you will need at least 9 kickboards to support the tape measure to prevent sagging, or have 44 lbs of tension to eliminate the sag in the tape measure.

Mark,
Looking at the previous tread I bet other swimmers would help measure the pool.

Get together and decide about measuring the pool.
It's not that difficult.

Then your times will count. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

It's all about RACING. :-)

etrain
July 12th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Haven't decided yet, I believe Dave Gibson is coming up so I might just tag along with him. I really don't like to swim meets during taper because they never feel good...

Anyone running down to Carbondale this weekend??? I have my iron swimming ready to go, I hope...

SRA
July 14th, 2004, 05:07 PM
I think a few of us from New City Orcas/Chicago Blue Dolphins are planning on coming to your meet. So let me know if you do choose to call it off.

Thanks!

Sarah Randag

mattson
July 15th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Doug posted this in a new thread, 9 minutes after your post. You must have struck a chord! :D

Originally posted by dsaslong
It is going to happen. Hope we receive many entries in the next few days. Do not expect a program as you arrive at the meet as we will seed the meet as people enter ... so deck entries will be seeded.

Get your entries in.

Doug Long

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 15th, 2004, 10:28 AM
I had my first lessons in St. Charles when I was 8 yrs. old.. My brother was in college & he dated a girl from there. He went to visit her over the summer & he had to take me. The girl made money by giving lessons over the summer. Now, almost 40 yrs later, my brother is going to be here over the weekend of your meet or I would come. Sorry.

dsaslong
July 16th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Sounds like there is interest in the meet ... good time to fine tune for Nationals. We will hold the meet and adjust to input for next year. Improve the date, what we offer etc.

I am out of the country for the next 2 weeks and will turn the entries overy to another person. I will arrive home the day before the meet so will be there to cheer you all on.

Hope you enjoy the meet and talk it up for next year.

Doug Long

SRA
July 16th, 2004, 01:05 PM
When we enter: Do we use SCY times or try to guess at/convert to LCM times?

Sarah

mattson
July 16th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Sarah, unless someone mentions otherwise, I assume that the seed times are what you expect to do at that meet (in a LCM pool). The SwimInfo Time Converter (http://www.swiminfo.com/results/conversions.asp) is fairly accurate, if you need to change from SCY.

Doug, any chance of the pool length being measured before and after, so the times are "official" for USMS? I'm willing to help out, I just need someone to tell me when and where.

mattson
August 1st, 2004, 05:45 PM
Just wanted to thank Doug and the other St Charles organizers (and the boy's swim team timers) for throwing the meet.

Nice to see New City Orcas and CoHo have decent team turnouts. :)