PDA

View Full Version : open water swimming

tecumseh9
July 11th, 2004, 06:27 PM
I need some help if anyone has any experience here. In the summer I go with the family to a family compound on one of the finger lakes (canandiagua, which has a very nice annual open water swm) during this time I often swim across the lake a few times. I go with a boat and someone rowing it but it is really a hard job, swimming is easier. I am looking to buy an electric trolling motor to go onto the row boat. Does anyone have any experience with this, how much power to get, battery life etc.

Thanks

jerrycat
July 14th, 2004, 03:47 PM
I don't know how strong those things are. but it's just to keep up with swimming--so a little goes far for this purpose.

i told my friend she can OWS with me--she can paddle in a big innertube, and I'll swim. Fun!

do you have a link for this place you're going to? i love those waters--they are beautiful!

2go+h20
July 14th, 2004, 06:29 PM
A better form of a support boat is either a canoe or a kayak. The support crew should be mandatory when out in the open water. The support crew need to be able to see hazards,(eg other water craft, wildlife etc) assist and carry food/drinks if you are swimming over an hour, plus carry necessary safety equipment. They also help you to stay online! A row boat is OK, however the person is facing backwards and so cannot spot hazards. Always wear a brightly coloured cap as well, so your head is more visible.
Open Water swimming has risks, and these risks must be minimized by following safety recommendations. If the weather changes, an person in an inner tube would not be able to battle with you against the wind and waves to the shore. Weather can change, depending on where you are, very quickly.
Familiarize yourself with potential hazards, shore line, weather conditions. Know the distances where you will be swimming, any currents and the water temperature as well.
Always be prepared and be safety aware.
Enjoy swimming outside the lines.
It is so much fun.
Kiwi

Kevin in MD
July 15th, 2004, 11:19 AM
On large rowboat I think you'd have to buy one of the larger trolling motors to keep up with you.

For a canoe with a transom though this might be an option.

A standard deep cycle battery should give youi three hours of steady trolling for the motor or more.

You can probably find good info from the trolling motor people.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/index_flash.asp

Also hit the local bait and tackel and tell them what you are up to they'll be able to help.