NKMD
July 12th, 2004, 12:02 AM
1. Grab Start
2. Track Start
3. Wall Start
4. In the water start

NKMD
July 12th, 2004, 12:04 AM
I figure a new thread could be started on just starts.

I would like the Olympic Trials Thread to continue as the Long Beach Thread.

I was taught to do the "MONKEY" (Micheal Collins)-grab start and then shake the carpet (Scott Williams). :-) That's what I learned at the Olympic training camp this year.

I do the track start only for freestyle.

I mostly do the grab start for fly and breast.

DocWhoRocks
July 12th, 2004, 11:07 AM
For me a grab start works best. Done both types of starts and I like the grab start better.

Guvnah
July 12th, 2004, 05:28 PM
I'm just glad when, after I've hit the water, my goggles are still on my face after the start! :cool:

pmbchill
July 12th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Amen to that!

jim clemmons
July 15th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Me neither.

KenChertoff
July 17th, 2004, 10:34 AM
"Wall start?" Isn't that the same as an "in the water start?" :confused:

Anyway, I more or less fall in the water after trying a grab start (hopefully AFTER the starting signal). So I guess you could it a "fall" start. :p My coach once saw me try a track start and he told me to never, ever do it again.

sparx35
July 17th, 2004, 03:55 PM
in the water for me...but i do not compete..only against myself....knocked a whole minute off my 1500m free today...i'm sooooooo high i think i'm not coming back down....

Scansy
July 18th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by sparx35
in the water for me...but i do not compete..only against myself....knocked a whole minute off my 1500m free today...i'm sooooooo high i think i'm not coming back down....

Congrats on the improvement. I compete against myself (and the clock) too. I focus more on my 100 time and it is great when I can drop it some.

susanehr
July 18th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Grab start for me. I just really never got the hang of the track start...or winding up for the relay start.

geochuck
July 19th, 2004, 01:39 PM
I'm too big to do a grab start or a track start. I just fall in short and glide long. See how big I am www.swimdownhill.com under todays workout.

sparx35
July 19th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Scansy
Congrats on the improvement. I compete against myself (and the clock) too. I focus more on my 100 time and it is great when I can drop it some.
thanks ,i'm still on a high..just hope i can keep improving as theres loads of room for it.:)

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 2nd, 2004, 12:24 PM
Grad. When I try the track start, I find that I lean too far back. Recently, I waswatching many people do the track stat & I noticed that most have their center of balance very far behind thier front foot. When they started they had a long way to go before they got their hips over the end of the block. they seemed to take longer to get into the water.

The I looked at some books. All coachs seemed ot warn about this intheir books. Very interesting!

mattson
November 3rd, 2004, 12:23 PM
When I do a track start, I don't lean back at all. In fact, I can get more of my body leaning forward, since I have my back leg to counterbalance.

shark
November 4th, 2004, 02:40 PM
We were always taught not to transfer our energy into the block itself. By grabbing onto the block your potential energy is transferred into the block itself and by putting your foot at the back of the block you are placing your body, in a sense, away from the other end of the pool. I would place a bet that a swimmer who has good reaction time will have a faster start by using the "grab start" over the track start. "Grab start" is a misnomer due to the fact that you should not actually grab the block. By lightly touching the block and leaning forward just enough to slide a sheet of paper below your heal, you can react quicker than if you grab a handful of block and lean backwards. IMO Also, if you react with a burst forward with your arms rather than backwards or up, I've been taught, you can get a jump on your competition. We used to do this drill called 'Bleacher Starts.' We would dive into a 3' deep pool from bleachers set 3' from the edge of the pool. Some could start from the 4th bleacher up and scoop well enough that you did not scrape your head or body on the bottom . If you didn't do it right... you can imagine the consequence. It did teach us to start quick and enter the water vertical and scoop to avoid going to deep.

maori
November 6th, 2004, 01:38 AM
The difference between grab and track dipend of the kind of blocks.
You have to try on 12.5 meters (i don't know in yard but is half pool).
This my last result:
Grab: 4''98'''
Track: 5''11'''
Tomorrow i'll use grab.

gull
November 7th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by shark
We used to do this drill called 'Bleacher Starts.' We would dive into a 3' deep pool from bleachers set 3' from the edge of the pool. Some could start from the 4th bleacher up and scoop well enough that you did not scrape your head or body on the bottom . If you didn't do it right... you can imagine the consequence. It did teach us to start quick and enter the water vertical and scoop to avoid going to deep.

And someone actually thought that this was a good idea?

geochuck
November 7th, 2004, 11:31 AM
[i] We used to do this drill called 'Bleacher Starts.' We would dive into a 3' deep pool from bleachers set 3' from the edge of the pool. Some could start from the 4th bleacher up and scoop well enough that you did not scrape your head or body on the bottom . If you didn't do it right... you can imagine the consequence. It did teach us to start quick and enter the water vertical and scoop to avoid going to deep. [/B]
I used to do a similar start from the wall (in my dreams) which was ten feet from the pool and would swim through the air but had to be careful (in my dreams) that I got back in the water before I got to the other end of the pool 25 yards away. I found my self on the bedroom floor many a time.

George

laineybug
November 7th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by shark
We used to do this drill called 'Bleacher Starts.' We would dive into a 3' deep pool from bleachers set 3' from the edge of the pool. Some could start from the 4th bleacher up and scoop well enough that you did not scrape your head or body on the bottom . If you didn't do it right... you can imagine the consequence. It did teach us to start quick and enter the water vertical and scoop to avoid going to deep.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

I find this post very ironic that it should come today. Many years ago a friend dove into the deep end of a shallow pool and hit his head on the bottom that sloped up. He broke his neck at c3. I got word yesterday that he had passed.

If there is one thing I would like USA Swimming to change it is the regulations that allow dive starts in the shallow end. I know if the water is less than 4" the start must be in the water. BUT ask yourself folks, is 4" of water really deep enough for a child, or anyone, for that matter, who might misjudge?

Lainey

EyeoreSAM
November 9th, 2004, 05:18 PM
I completely agree. I had a meet this weekend and the pool was only 4 feet deep and it made me uneasy. I have been doing this for years and the thought of my daughter having to use that shallow of a pool is sickening.

hooked-on-swimming
November 10th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Talking about starts - how do you keep your goggles on, I seem to have a problem with that - not that I lose them completely, but they move just enough to get filled with water ...

jim clemmons
November 10th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Talking about starts - how do you keep your goggles on, I seem to have a problem with that - not that I lose them completely, but they move just enough to get filled with water ...

Easiest for myself is 2 tension levels for the straps. A somewhat slack or loose level for working out and a significantly tighter one for racing.

When starting, just prior to entry into the water, tuck the chin a bit and leave the head down (somewhat). Raising the head too soon may result in filling with water or removing the goggles completely (or worse - just enuf to cover your mouth!). For me, since I don't tend to enter a lot of "sprint" races, this method works far and away, the majority of the time.

Perhaps a sprinter will chime in with their method(s).

Jim