PDA

View Full Version : only two swimmers get to go...

Peter Cruise
July 12th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Just a steam-letting off moment- I get to watch the track & field competitors fight for 3 places in the Games, but swimming which used to allow 3, just grants a measly 2 slots for a country. Yes, I know it was originally done to limit US dominance in the pool back when, but the swimming world is a very different place today. If a country can sweep the top 3 places in the games today, then that would be neat and I don't care which country it would be.
How do you feel?

Allen Stark
July 12th, 2004, 12:59 AM
I couldn't agree more. It's silly politics. As I said before, in a rational world threr would just be worldwide qualifying times.If you make it your in period. Also I think the idea of semi-finals is dumb.If there was just prelims & finals the times would be faster.

Gareth Eckley
July 12th, 2004, 02:38 AM
Two swimmers is OK with me. What is not OK is where someone can hold the National record, win their trial and beat the Olympic qualifying time.

But not be selected because their swim federation set their own qualifying times lower than the Olympic QT's, in some attempt to appear tough.

How many swimmers have Canada and UK left at home even though they beat the Olympic QT. What good does it do to send a very small team to Athens ?

swimshark
July 12th, 2004, 11:03 AM
I agree that 3 should be able to go in swimming. And having prelims, semis and finals is too much. Prelims and finals would be enough to see which top 3 deserves it the most.

pettijohn
July 12th, 2004, 01:41 PM
I would love to see it go back to three swimmers.

KenChertoff
July 12th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Gareth Eckley
How many swimmers have Canada and UK left at home even though they beat the Olympic QT. What good does it do to send a very small team to Athens ?

I suppose it would be justified if the country's Olympic committee is short of funds and can't afford to send a big team -- obviously that's not the the issue for either Britain or Canada.:confused:

Not sending qualified athletes because they think they won't win (or at least place high enough) is bad sportsmanship -- it's really just running away.

Rnovitske
July 17th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Too bad Olympic swimming no longer represents the world's best. A country's third swimmer (left at home) can be faster than the actual bronze winner from another country.

Sonic Swimmer78
July 17th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Man! That's a shame!

susanehr
July 18th, 2004, 01:42 PM
What is worse is we are really taking four of the top swimmers in some events(i.e. 100 free) so they can swim on the relay. If they are already going to be there...let them in the water for the indiviudal events.

seltzer
July 19th, 2004, 08:40 AM
I agree that those countries that have three swimmers who meet the A qualifying time in the non-free events should be able to go just as in Track.

On a slightly related topic wasn't it obvious how different (and better) the US Swimming Olympic Trials selection process is compared to track and gymanistics.

Did anyone else find it very strange that the gymanistics team was selected at some remote ranch with coaches huddled in a room for hours versus the swimming trials where the team is selected by the clock! Also the contrast between the swimming athletes, both selected and those who missed, who appeared elated or at least satisfied that they gave their best versus the gymanistics selection where everyone is crying?

And the formula for track selection? Doesn't it show how weak the US team is once you get into the non-sprint events? For example, how does Susy Hamilton get a shot at the 1500 when she doesn't even run it at the Trials?

Don't blame NBC if US swimming is front and center for it's coverage...it's apparently our "strongest sport" and the selection process is open and fair.

aquageek
July 19th, 2004, 09:00 AM
I agree, that David Koresh-esque gymnastics compound in the middle of nowhere was a little scary. And, I could not understand a word that woman was saying. I heard on NBC that USA gymnastics is moving beyond the Bella Karoli (sp?) days. Isn't his wife the coach this year?

Elite gymnastics has always struck me as a little odd but when you place dozens of teen girls in a fortified shed at the end of a dirt road led by a tandem of defected transylvanians, it just gets me even more uncomfortable. I was happy to see the age and personalities shine through at the US Swim Trials.

Leonard Jansen
July 19th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Most of the sports that have subjective judging as an integral part of the selection process have a "cult of personalities" that either control or dominate the sport. It's true for figure skating, rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming and the like. Gymnastics, esp. on the women's side is, however, probably the worst of the lot. I used to hate to work with these sports because you often got trapped between factions and no matter what you did, someone was upset.

The stories I could tell...

Give me track & field, swimming and XC skiing any day.

-LBJ

Guvnah
July 26th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Leonard Jansen
Most of the sports that have subjective judging as an integral part of the selection process have a "cult of personalities" that either control or dominate the sport. It's true for figure skating, ...

Figure skating. (And ice dancing.) These are almost pre-decided before the actual events! (I'm only slightly exaggerating.) A skater loses/gains ranking by messing up, or by someone placed higher than them messing up, not by doing better than the competition.

Fitswimmer04
July 26th, 2004, 01:53 PM
I agree-I remember people talking during the Olympics about it being a particular skater's "year". Like no matter what they did on the ice, their dues had been paid and they were going to win. After the Canadian fiasco, they said they fixed the judging, but without an objective measurement like a clock, there will always be inherent biases. Before the Wall fell, all the Soviet countries voted as a bloc so it was really hard for Americans to win in certian events.
I like swimming better-I'm only working against the clock and my own personal best.

Guvnah
July 26th, 2004, 04:50 PM
The touch pad doesn't care which judge you slept with yesterday.