PDA

View Full Version : Slow to warm up?

mgermaine
July 14th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Any advice for the problem of taking a really long time to feel smooth, efficient and easy in the water? I swim 2 miles freestyle 3x/week. It always takes about an hour, but I've noticed that it's fully about 1/2 way or more into it before I notice it's easy gliding and I'm not thinking about it anymore. The speed or the technique isn't different it just seems like a long time before things click.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Maryann

etrain
July 14th, 2004, 10:21 AM
I take a long time to warm up as well, we usually do a 400 swim followed by about 1000 set of kick/drill/swim. I will usually do some backstroke in the 400 to help warm up the rest of my body. Then during the 1000 set I will throw in all the strokes, I usually start with butterfly because it will really get the blood flowing.

If you are just swimming the 2 miles straight, then I would suggest to try some interval training. Something else that might help is to do like a locomotion thing 25 easy/ 25 fast / 50 easy / 50 fast/ 100 easy / 100 fast / 200 easy / 200 fast / 100 easy / 100 fast / etc.. Go as high as you want or can handle and you can also go up a 25 every set (2x25/2x50/2x75/2x100/ect..). You might also try and just do a 500 and stop and stretch.

If you would like some interval sets just let me know and I will post some, or let us know how you are doing the 2 miles, straight or interval.

etrain

mgermaine
July 15th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, etrain. I've been swimming the laps freestyle without stopping or varying the pace much. Last week I did 2.5 miles for the first time, but I like the locomotion idea & will give it a try.

I just swim for fitness & never been on a team or competed (really only learned proper strokes in a phys ed class long ago in college.) I'm 39 and swim 3 or 4x/week and do not have much of a competitive streak...just learned to flip turn last summer from the kids' swim coach!

I was contemplating working hard alone this summer to maybe join our local masters group for motivation and to meet other swimmers this fall. I'm not sure whether masters is for a beginner like me, however; gotta confess most of these posts look a bit like a foreign language. Also I never learned butterfly.

In the 1000 kick/drill/swim set, how does that go exactly?

Maryann

etrain
July 15th, 2004, 04:01 PM
I hope this turns out good...

100 - 50 kick/50 swim
4x 50 - build up or drill
4x25 - variable sprint ***see below***

variable sprint
1 - 1/2 lap easy/ 1/2 lap fast
2 - 1/2 lap fast/ 1/2 lap easy
3 - build up
4 - fast :D

So you would go through and do a 100 split into a 50 kick/ 50 swim then a 50 either drill or build up and then 4 25's variable sprint, then repeat that 3 more times.

You can also do 75's where you do a 25 kick, 25 drill, 25 swim. During our warmups we rarely do anything over a 100, sometimes a 150 split by the 50's.

Hope that helps and don't be afraid to join a team, most teams will give you a trial time (:Dfree:D ) so you can see how things are ran. If you have more than one team in town then check them all out and see which one is for you.

Anything else just let me know...

etrain

mgermaine
July 15th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Thanks,

A "duh" question for you: what is the "drill"?

the kick? are you using a kickboard, or just swimming with a really strong kick, or something else?

possibly hopeless, but would like to give these a try.

Maryann

Guvnah
July 15th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by mgermaine

I just swim for fitness & never been on a team or competed (really only learned proper strokes in a phys ed class long ago in college.) I'm 39 and swim 3 or 4x/week and do not have much of a competitive streak...just learned to flip turn last summer from the kids' swim coach!

I was contemplating working hard alone this summer to maybe join our local masters group for motivation and to meet other swimmers this fall. I'm not sure whether masters is for a beginner like me, however; gotta confess most of these posts look a bit like a foreign language. Also I never learned butterfly.

Maryanne -- Don't fret about what you'll find on a masters team. Most have lanes assigned to various capabilities, so you'd just be directed to the appropriate group (or you'll find it on your own.)

You won't be judged (except perhaps by yourself.)

I don't fly. Never learned it. Maybe some day I will. When I'm with a masters team and the workout calls for fly, I just do freestyle. Nobody complains. The whole point of masters is for you to get out of it what you set your goals to be. If doing something you hate (or fear, which is a little bit of it for me) will cause you to quit, what's the point of that? Any good masters coach recognizes that.

etrain
July 15th, 2004, 04:28 PM
DRILLS: catch-up, fist, side kicking, finger drag, arm pit, etc

catch-up -- leave one arm out in front while the other arm pulls through the stroke and "catches-up" to the arm out stretched, then do the same with the other arm. This is personally my favorite drill and do this one the most. It will feel funny but once you get the hang of it it is pretty fun.

fist -- just swim with closed fist's. It will help you to use your fore-arms as well as your hands. You might not want to do full lengths of this to start out, just do a few strokes and then go back to regular swimming and really feel the difference, then do a few more strokes with your fist's closed.

side-kicking -- just kick on your side for 3 or 6 or 12 kicks then stroke over to the other side and do the same. This will help you to swim on your side (:DFaster:D) instead of flat (:( sloooowwwwwweeeeerrr:().

finger drag -- I like this one as well, all you do is drag your finger tips across the top of the water on the recovery of your stroke. Make sure that your elbow is pointing up, which should be if you are dragging your hand in the water. This will loosen up the shoulders pretty good too.

arm pit -- this is like the finger drag but you want to "tickle your arm pit". This will also loosen up the shoulders and the elbow should be pointing towards the sky.

For the kick question, I usually use a board unless it is not possible with how the set works out. If I can't then I will most likely kick on my back.

Well put Guvnah, our master's team is probably made up of more triathletes than anyone else. They don't swim the meets but enjoy the workouts. They also don't do the back, breast or fly. Any set for us is an option, no one is forcing you come or forcing you to stay.

Hope that helps and keep on swimming...

etrain

:onap time yet???

mgermaine
July 16th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Wow, the locomotion fast/slow laps made a big difference (ha! mostly just got TIRED a lot faster) but I did notice I felt warmed up much sooner.

Looking forward to trying the other drills next...

And thanks for the encouragement about joining a team...it's a relief not to think about having to learn butterfly at this stage of the game. As you say, Guvnah, maybe someday.

mgermaine
July 17th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Tried the fist drill today. Another wow. After a length of that, using your hands normally for the next length feels like such a smooth luxury. I like that drill a lot!

Thanks again,

Maryann

etrain
July 19th, 2004, 09:41 AM
I am glad to hear that these are helping, another drill is one-arm drill. You can do 3 pulls left then 3 pulls right or any combination or even the whole length. Try to make your less dominate arm (left arm for me since I am right handed) stroke cound the same as your dominate arm. This will probably be difficult to start out but you can do it.

etrain

Fitswimmer04
July 19th, 2004, 06:50 PM
I tried the fly for the first time yesterday and today. Who made this thing up? And who was the second nut who said-"gee, he looks like he's drowning, I gotta try that!"
I think what I do can best be described as a butter-flail....

geochuck
July 19th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Fitswimmer04 said..... I tried the fly for the first time yesterday and today. Who made this thing up? And who was the second nut who said-"gee, he looks like he's drowning, I gotta try that!"
I think what I do can best be described as a butter-flail....

Fitswimmer04 In the old days... breaststroke, then somebody did the over the top recovery hence butterfly with a frog kick... in 1952 I saw Matt Mann jr (I think the third) do the butterfly using what he called the fish tail kick with one huge beat.... walla then they added another beat they called it the dolphin kick. Hence butterfly, my favorite other stroke.

George Park www.swimdownhill.com

Fitswimmer04
July 20th, 2004, 07:31 AM
thanks- that makes sense. I love breaststoke, and I never knew that was how the fly started. I have to admit it's a great workout. I'm hoping that if I continue to work at it I can move from the flail to the fly.

etrain
July 20th, 2004, 09:48 AM
We call it butter-struggle, because sometimes it is a struggle just to finish.

my $0.02:D :D

etrain!