PDA

View Full Version : Mile Swim

swimgirl_500
July 15th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Okay, I swim the 500 which is a considerd a mile. Well my time is setting at 10:15 flat. My coach says my problem is that i breath every two arms, and I can only breath to the right. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea on how i can improve my breathing, or my time. Thank you, and sorry if i posted in the wrong place, I'm new. Thank you

u352
July 15th, 2004, 08:02 AM
I don't swim a lot of different events but what kind of 500 is a mile?

Sabretooth Tiger
July 15th, 2004, 10:20 AM
1500 meters long course or a 1650 short course yard swim is generally considered the swimming "mile." Swimming 400 yards generally equates to the same amount of time that it would take to run a mile, if you make swimming vs. track comparisons. 50 swim sprint = 220 track event; 100 swim sprint equals quarter mile track event; etc.

If you're working with a coach who tells you that your breating is an issue, I'd expect him/her to give you some instruction.

As to breathing, try freestyle drills breathing every 3rd stroke. This will put your breathing alternately on each side. Work your way up to breathing every 5 and then 7 strokes. One thing you could do, for example, is incorporate a 300 pull into your workout, breathing every 3 strokes in the firs 100, 5 on the second, and 7 on the third. Stretch out your stroke, make it smooth, and practice breath control/controlled exhale in that exercise.

You don't describe your workout regimine, so it's hard to say how to adjust your workout to improve your time, but just stick with it and you're find improvement. Talk to your coach.

my $0.02

Guvnah
July 15th, 2004, 12:30 PM
I am of the opinion that with a proper stroke, breathing only on one side will not negatively impact you. With proper body rotation breathing ALMOST becomes a matter of opening your mouth and inhaling. With proper body rotation one's face should be sufficiently turned (because the whole body is turned that much) to either side.

Very few swimmers achieve this, though. (I am not one of them.)

If you cannot master the technique and coordination of alternate breathing, consider trying to extend your breath for FOUR strokes. (Easy to say, I know. I'm sure that will be a picnic the last 100 yards of your 500!)

Here's a hint to help you develop the technique to breath on both sides. Don't start off trying it with alternate-side breathing. Since you now breath to the right, consider doing the WHOLE LENGTH once in a while breathing to the left. Develop the feel for it before trying to incorporate it into alternate-side breathing.

But back to technique, I suspect that your coach is dinging you for right-side-only breathing because you are doing something inefficient in your stroke to accommodate your breaths. (Which, if true, will make your attempt at left-side breathing all the more difficult.) Maybe your left arm is doing something odd under water as you breath, or you do some awhward kick, or you cross your right arm beyond center after your breath... I can only speculate. Ask your coach to be frank with you. Even better, see if you can get someone to video tape your stroke. It may become bluntly obvious when you get to see yourself on tape. (If you get someone to tape you, get some footage from various angles -- especially directly from the side and directly oncoming. It will let you see various imbalances and inefficiencies in your stroke.)

swimgirl_500
July 15th, 2004, 06:28 PM
At our highschool, the length of our pool for the 500 is the equavilant to a mile. Any how, thank you guys for the advice. My coach has various workouts that she uses each day. We have 3 our practices which use all techniques.
My not being able to breath properly on the left seems to be with somtimes i tilt too far, so if you have any way in how not to tilt, that would be wonderful. Thank you.

scyfreestyler
November 22nd, 2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by swimgirl_500
At our highschool, the length of our pool for the 500 is the equavilant to a mile. .

I realize this thread is old but I just don't understand how the length of the pool has anything to do with being equivelant to a mile. If I am not mistaken, a 10 minute mile would be a world record.

Dave60625
November 22nd, 2004, 01:02 PM
Jessi,

If you still frequent the forums and are still having difficulty breathing on the opposite side, I'd suggest doing drills like side-front-side, side-glide freestyle, side skate, side-glide balance, and side-glide balance with breathing.

These are all drills that I found out about through Fitness Swimming. And they all help you to rotate properly when you do freestyle. Once you rotate properly breathing every three strokes might be easier.

USMSarah
November 27th, 2004, 11:40 AM
I can't even run a mile in 10 minutes.... I'm so confused about the first post. First of all... I don't know a high school that would have any pool longer than 25 yards or meters. Plus, a 500 would never be considered a mile... after swimming 500 yards... you still got a long way to go girl! I don't mean to be rude, but maybe your coach gave you some incorrect information.

With the breathing thing... work on drills like the last post mentioned. In swimming a mile, 1000, 800, or even the 500... start to work on breathing every 4 or 5 strokes... keep a pattern to keep you on track. Get in a rhythm because you got a long way to swim.

Good luck.

:confused:

BigMike02
February 3rd, 2005, 01:05 AM
Okay, I swim the 500 which is a considerd a mile. Well my time is setting at 10:15 flat. My coach says my problem is that i breath every two arms, and I can only breath to the right. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea on how i can improve my breathing, or my time. Thank you, and sorry if i posted in the wrong place, I'm new. Thank you

I only breath to the right side as well. I don't think it has that big of a negative impact, but as it was mentioned on here before, try lengthening your breathing intervals to every 4 strokes.It takes some of the load off of your neck and if you throw in some different strokes or kick sets in between freestyle sets, no worries. I do this and have yet to have any problems.

jim thornton
February 3rd, 2005, 10:42 PM
I think what she might mean is that swimming 500 yards is roughly equivalent in time to running 1 mile. Think about it: top notch swimmers can do a 500 in about 4 1/2 minutes; top notch runners can do about this (actually a little faster.)

I always thought that the 4 : 1 conversion was more accurate. For instance, 400 meters running is about the same ballpark, timewise, as 100 meters swimming.

Perhaps the high school coach should switch to 400 m (440 yards) swimming is the equivalent of 1600 m (1760 yards, or 1 mile) running.

By this reasoning, the high schoolers 10:15 for 500 yards would be probably about a 9:00 flat for 400 meters, and a 9 minute running mile, though not outstanding, is reasonable for a non track person, don't you think?

Fred Johnson
February 4th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Breathing on both sides is a matter of practice. I breathe naturally to the right but always try to breathe every third stroke so half my breathing is to the left. I think Guvnah suggested trying to breathe to the left at all times during a drill to get the feel for breathing to that side. I think that is a very good practice tip. Almost any technique is developed by practice. It only follows that this skill can be developed and improved by practicing it. Breathing to the left during practice should improve this technique.

LindsayNB
February 5th, 2005, 09:41 AM
It seems to me that which side you breath on and how often you breath are two separate issues. As Guvnah said, if you want to learn to breath left try breathing left every other length (e.g. always breath toward one wall of the pool), or breath right half a length, left half a length, or whatever. How often you should breath is mostly a function of what distance you are swimming, if you want to work on breathing less than do so for that reason, but in my humble opinion learning to breath to the left is not a good reason to change your breathing frequency. For distance swimming, breathing less, by example breathing every third stroke, just reduces your available fuel and makes it that much harder to do those two strokes into and out of the wall without breathing.

ande
February 11th, 2005, 04:25 PM
personally I don't think changing your breathing pattern / learning to breathe on the left, will make much difference in your 500 time. If you want to improve your 500 time.
concentrate on improving your

stroke efficiency,
turns,
speed,
anaerobic threshhold, and
splitting.

swim fast in practice.

try resting for a few days or a week before a competition before you attempt to improve your time.

try the new fastskin body suits, they really work,

Lift weights to improve your strength.

the good thing is if you're 10 minutes in the 500 you have a lot of room to improve.

Good Luck,

ande rasmussen

marymolly
March 1st, 2005, 02:42 PM
i'm not trying to be rude, but i did the math on approximately how long your pool is that you train in. if your coach claims that a 500=1 mile, then maybe you should go to your athletic director and tell him/her to find another swim coach. the math...
5280 ft = 1.6093 km
1.6093 km = 1609.3 m
1609.3 m/ 20 laps (the average for doing a 500) = approx. 80.5 meters. that's 30.5 meters longer than an olympic size pool.

the average pool is only 20 meters or 20 yards. also, most mile swims take a lot longer than 10 minutes. If you can swim it in 10 minutes, then you should not need any help. so, the only advice i can give you is to maybe seek a different swim coach.

tjrpatt
March 28th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Ande,
do you mean by "resting a few days before a 500" to not swim at all a few days before the meet. Just wondering. Also, what are some good sets to improve your 500 free.