PDA

View Full Version : YMCA Masters vs. USMS

jim thornton
January 31st, 2002, 08:45 PM
I live in Western PA, and most of the meets around here are YMCA sponsored masters meets. I know the Y program is a separate system from USMS, and you don't have to be a member of one to join the other. A lot of people around here swim in both systems--Y for local meets, USMS for national meets. I'm wondering, among other things, if anyone might know if YMCA masters has any ongoing TOP 10 listing the way USMS does.

My experience with Y swimming is that the competition is maybe just a wee bit less competitive and hardcore. Then again, my only USMS masters meet was Long Course Nationals two summers ago, and that was a pretty high profile meet.

Has anyone else had experience with both systems? What do you think about the differences between them? Are they ever likely to merge like pro football circa Joe Namath's ear?

Rob Copeland
February 1st, 2002, 09:31 AM
Jim, I can’t answer your questions, but at least I can direct you to the someone who should be able to help.

Try USMS Liaison to YMCA—Stu Marvin - YMCAliaison@usms.org
Or Mel Goldstein - goldstein@mindspring.com

They both should be able to answer all of your questions and more.

Rob

jim thornton
February 1st, 2002, 01:09 PM
Mel wrote me back via e-mail, and I thought others might find his reply interesting. I hope this is okay to post--here 'tis:

Hi Jim,

In answer to your first question, "Does YMCA have a YMCA Top Ten?" To my knowledge they do, now who is administering it I have no idea. It is my opinion if you finish in the top 10 at Y Nationals you are definitely in the YMCA Top Ten. Essentially, there is only one YMCA Competition and that is the Nationals. Several years ago I held a regional YMCA Championship with hope other areas around the country would follow suit. I had the blessing of the YMCA National Competitive Swimming Committee, and they were to spread the gospel so to speak. The idea was to broaden YMCA Masters Swimming by having more than one competition a year. Eventually, everyone wanting to attend the Nationals would have to compete in one of these regional meets. This would eliminate the so called "90 day memberships" that flourish prior to the national championship and would perpetuate swimmers being members all year along. Unfortunately, the leadership on the national committee dropped the ball, and what we have today is one meet. Our program is a YMCA driven program, however our team is a registered USMS club as there are no YMCA meets for us to compete in, with exception of the YMCA Masters National Championships, so throughout the year we swim as YMCA Indy SwimFit when we swim in meets. I know this sounds confusing, but until the YMCA National Competitive Swimming Committee gets their act together we will have what we have now.

Hope I have helped you in some way.

Mel

swim53
February 2nd, 2002, 03:31 PM
Are you anywhere close to the Allegheny Valley YMCA Masters Association?
http://amymsa.org/

SwimStud
October 24th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Hmmm who thinks that a USMS YMCA masters grand national grudge match would be fun...

Every heat should be with a noodler or head up breaststroker in each lane along with the swimmer...it'd be like an obstacle course.

Noodles Romanoff
October 24th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Hmmm who thinks that a USMS YMCA masters grand national grudge match would be fun...:dedhorse::dedhorse::dedhorse:No one of any consequence.