PDA

View Full Version : Jellyfish

sdswimmer
July 19th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Okay can anyone tell me why I will swim into the only jellyfish for 100 miles? I have been stung by jellies on every long swim for the last 3 months. The lifeguards say they haven't seen many in the last few weeks but I sure found a big one saturday. The swimmer witheem missed it even though he was swimming on his back. So what's the secret to getting the jellies to avoid you (this one swam into me)? I have a nice variety of small brown scars fomr all these encounters and keep trying to look all around while I swim so I'm getting a sore neck-help!

geochuck
July 19th, 2004, 12:26 PM
I swam from Cape Tormintine to Borden Prince Edward Island, four major rip tides and thousands of jelly fish, the toughest nine miles I had ever raced.

The jelly fish there are a variety that sting but are not as bad as some others I have experienced. They were in patches about 50 yards across and 100 yards in length and I went through several of these patches. I was stung all over my body.

Half way through the race due to the stings I started seeing things. Every time I looked at the side of my attending boat I saw bacon and eggs . The most disappointing thing about this swim was as I walked out of the water after finishing, some one walked up to me and handed me a dry tastless ham sandwich, but all I wanted was the bacon and eggs that I saw on the side of the boat.

After the race was over and the prize money was given out, I was on the search for a restaurant that would make me bacon and eggs and found one who did. For about a week after that when swimming I could see jelly fish tenicales whenever my face was in the water.... even though I was swimming in lake Ontario - no jelly fish there just lamprey eels.

George www.swimdownhill.com

sdswimmer
July 27th, 2004, 01:26 AM
I've now developed an allergic reaction to the alst sting-one week later. I'm a bit worried now, i've been taking antihistamines before my long swims just in case.