PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition for long swims

sdswimmer
July 19th, 2004, 02:55 AM
I know what i like to eat during the swim and for several days before i'll be careful to hydrate well but does anyone have nutrition suggestions for the week or so leading into a long (8 mile) swim? Anything to build up strength reduce chances of cramping etc?

Thanks!

geochuck
July 21st, 2004, 11:16 AM
Eat lots of Pizza...

I swam in a thirty hr. marathon in Montreal. The course was 1/3 of a mile around and around. It was relay style with two swimmers on a team. My Partner was Billy Barton from Florida USA. We changed every lap which took us a little over 7 min.

Half way through the night, Billy could no longer swim because of the cold. I then started to do all the laps. I had tried eating chocolate, glucose powder mixed with tang, and chicken, but nothing seemed to bring my energy level up. I was exhausted after about 15 more laps around the course. My coach asked Billy if he could go in to relieve me. Billy then went in for two laps. I went to the rest tent to lay down.

A friend of mine who owned Pepi's Pizza, passed by and asked how I was doing. I told him I wasn't feeling too well. Pepi happened to be carrying the largest pizza I had ever seen. He was delivering it to some of the other teams' coaches.

He offered me the pizza, and I devoured it. When it was gone I went back in the water. It was strange I had been ready to quit before I took my break but after the pizza I felt like super man. I never swam better.

After the sun came up, Billy was able to continue doing his laps.

George www.swimdownhill.com

sdswimmer
July 22nd, 2004, 12:21 PM
The pizza sounds good for after except for the sore mouth from the salt water. Is that what you'd eat for the week before?

geochuck
July 22nd, 2004, 12:30 PM
In the water glucose powder and very week tang solution, you can use regular sugar as it only takes 3 mila-seconds longer to get into the blood stream. Pizza is loaded with every thing you need for endurance... but I liked to eat a variety of all kinds of food. I used to go for oatmeal for breakfast before a race but was hungry as soon as I hit the water. I later opted for my favorite pea meal bacon, eggs and home fries. Ate lots of steak chicken combined with lots of carbs.

Rob Copeland
July 22nd, 2004, 01:29 PM
Your mileage may vary…

But from my experience, whatever you are doing to get in shape for the swim, from a nutrition perspective, should be what you stick with in the week/days before long swims. If you currently have problems with cramping and exhaustion in practice you need to address this now, not the week before the swim.

One of the worst things you can do is make radical diet changes in the days before a race. There are numerous stories of folks who have changed their eating habits prior to a race (or within the race), only to come down with a number of ailments (nausea, diarrhea, constipation, etc).

Now with that said, as I get close to race date for marathon swims, I will typically eat more pastas and bananas (just not in the same dish, however I do recommend PB & banana sandwiches). I also start drinking Enderox/Accelerade (which is what I will drink during the race).

sdswimmer
July 23rd, 2004, 01:20 AM
Thanks Rob and George,
I usually have hydrlyte/gookinade and water and take gels and boiled potatoes while swimming. I was hoping you'd reccomend lots of ice cream before hand! I like to hydrate well in the day or 2 before but haven't tried doing much else. 8 miles will be my longest swim to date.

Rob Copeland
July 23rd, 2004, 10:43 AM
For the Ice Cream – put 2 bananas and 1/3 cups of Peanut Butter in a blender with a cup of milk and a few scoops of ice cream. It makes a yummy shake!

Leonard Jansen
July 23rd, 2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Rob Copeland
I also start drinking Enderox/Accelerade (which is what I will drink during the race).

On a side note: I stopped eating almost all sugar last October - I never have had much of a sweet tooth anyway. I find that since then, when I use Accelerade for either a long workout or a race, I get a slight, but noticable, boost over the way it used to work. The down side is that if I drink it without working out - i.e. burning it off - I get very wired. ("Why are you chewing on the legs of the furniture dear?" "I needed SOMETHING to do.")

May try the banana/peanut butter shake with plain yogurt instead of ice cream. MMMMMM...peanut butter....

-LBJ

geochuck
July 24th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by sdswimmer
Thanks Rob and George,
I usually have hydrlyte/gookinade and water and take gels and boiled potatoes while swimming. I was hoping you'd reccomend lots of ice cream before hand! I like to hydrate well in the day or 2 before but haven't tried doing much else. 8 miles will be my longest swim to date.
The butterscotch ice cream sudaes are great I have put away a lot of those in my day. You have to enjoy what you take in. My average marathon race was just over 25 miles. In the summer I raced 300 miles from July to the end of 2nd week in September every year for ten years.

I used to boil potatoes in Campbels chicken noodle soup to get rid of excess of salt and removed the potatoes, just drank the soup and noodles.

George

sdswimmer
July 27th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Sadly I can't eat peanuts/peanut butter but cna do the rest. I ahd a ncie 5 mile swim today btu got a bit dizzy at the end since i hadn't eaten much all day, i'll have to concentrate on that now! I think I metabolize salt strangely as despite the salt water i swallow I tend to test low on sodium os I'll take the soup straight up. I started eating potatoes when I was racing bikes and went on to use them for sea kayak races. They are easy to eat and keep down and taste okay if the salt water gets on them.

What else is good?

geochuck
July 27th, 2004, 12:09 PM
When swimming long races in water over 65 degrees I always took salt tablets. Have you ever had the creepy feeling of the sweat coming to the surface of the skin while swimming that depleats the salt.

Cliff lumsdon and Marilyn Bell used to take corn syrup. I used to take coca cola syrup mixed with a little water and mixed it with protein powder. I made it into a paste like solution and hated it but I took it anyway.

As I said before the other thing I took was a week waterered down tang and glucose powder, pasty and very thick. If any one wanted to make me ill when eating dinner all they had to do is put orange juice and glocose power on the table and that would do it.

The Egyptians ate a lot of dates.

Good luck
George www.swimdownhill

sdswimmer
July 27th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Did egyptians swim long distances? I like gookinade (not gatorade) which has salts and glucose or some similar sugars. Tastes better than what you're describing! THe water doesn't get much above 65 around here. I like it at 67ish!
I've tried sustian tabs (mixed electrolytes) but find I have to eb very careful to drink enoguh water with them. I'm swimming in salt water so you'd think I could just sip a little :-) I do not reccomend that approach! I also like carb boom gels and sour jellybeans to counteract some of the salty mouth but over time my mouth does get quite sore from the water.

geochuck
July 27th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by sdswimmer
Did egyptians swim long distances? Have alook here www.noww.nl/info/port-heif-abdellatief-abouheif.html

George Park