PDA

View Full Version : Swim Suits at Trials

breastroker
July 20th, 2004, 05:38 PM
The largest and most visible swim suits at Trials was the Speedo FST II, Speedo is an official US Olympic team sponsor and thus had an inside advantage.

But surprisingly Nike had several make the team as did TYR.
I am not sure if amy other suit maker placed swimmers on the team.

The biggest talk in the stands was how the swimmers did NOT like the new Speedo suits. Most men staid away from the Speedo Fastskin II full body suit. Phelps would wear the full jammers, but did not wear the restrictive full body suit.

More men with full body suits wore the TRY, while Nike had several World Records set in their mens Jammer suits.

swimshark
July 20th, 2004, 07:03 PM
I believe Gary Hall, Jr was wearing Addidas.

Suit Chaser
July 20th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Gary Hall was wearing an Arena Powerskin, which is actually a very fine suit. He was also wearing an Everlast custom terrycloth robe before the 100 free, and an Everlast, Apollo Creed style, satin stars and stripes boxing robe before the 50 free. What a character!!

Although the NIKE suits were being worn, there were serious questions about the quality. They looked like they were ripping a lot.

Aaron Piersol showed up for his first preliminary swim in the 100 backstroke wearing a brand new NIKE jammer. It was ripped on both hips, and one hole grew visibly when he raced. Sad to say, but NIKE has established a long and healthy tradition of fall-apart swim products. Perhaps that's why a few of the swimmers went so fast wearing NIKE -- after they fell apart, it was practically like swimming naked!

The attached photo came from Swiminfo.com

dcarson
July 20th, 2004, 09:15 PM
It was in the Press-Telegram paper in Long Beach that Aaron right before that race put his thumb through his suit. He said he didn't pack an extra suit that day. Lesson learned why to always bring an extra suit to competition. However, the fact that he could so easily rip a suit lends credibility that it might not be the most durable of suits.

dcarson
July 20th, 2004, 09:21 PM
One interesting thing that I noticed was the type of suit used per type of final. For example, freestyle heats often had full body or the sleeveless full body, whereas backstroke had a lot of jammers. I was wondering, is there testing of the suits that shows for a type of swim (i.e., freestyle, backstroke, fly, breast), a certain type of suit (jammers, full body, etc.) is best for each one???

breastroker
July 20th, 2004, 11:20 PM
He was also wearing an Everlast custom terrycloth robe before the 100 free, and an Everlast, Apollo Creed style, satin stars and stripes boxing robe before the 50 free. What a character!!

Gary's change from the black terrycloth robe to the Apollo Creed style was very cool and stylish. When he first came out in the black robe, I thought of Steve Lundquist who in Los Angeles 1984 came out in a very hot day in a black parka, black mittens and black boots. Every thing Steve did had a purpose, and all swimmers would be better off if they studied Steve's quirks.

By wearing black, he kept his muscles ready for the sprint 100 meters breaststroke, sort of like Mike Tyson in his prime. Mike Tyson always came out dripping sweat, while his opponents always seemed to be cool and dry. But a warmed up muscle produces 50% more power than a cool muscle. These two athletes in two different sports both knew the same thing, and oftem one in the first few seconds!

Howard
July 20th, 2004, 11:55 PM
I'd like to read more about a warmed up muscle producing 50% more power. Can you point to a study?

knelson
July 21st, 2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by breastroker
I thought of Steve Lundquist who in Los Angeles 1984 came out in a very hot day in a black parka, black mittens and black boots.

Of course Lundquist was also called "Lunk." Maybe that wasn't just a reference to his name! :)

swimshark
July 21st, 2004, 10:38 AM
I can't say anything about the new Nike suits but I have a lycra one that is over 2 yers old and still going strong. It is a bit stretched out but I can still wear it in practice. Now my speedos wear out in a few months.

breastroker
July 21st, 2004, 12:48 PM
Lundquist was also called "Lunk

Dumb enough to win the Gold Medal. Like when sportscasters call a basketball player brilliant, missusing a term. Steve was as knowledgeable about breaststroke as anyone who ever swam the stroke or coached it. I spent quite a while talking to him when he was in LA LA land and he really knew every detail of every type of variation of breaststroke.

Suit Chaser
July 21st, 2004, 02:53 PM
Not sure why we're diverting this thread to discussion about Steve Lundquist. Let's get back to the original topic.

My NIKE lycras have all consistently fallen apart in three weeks. I had a first generation NIKE torso suit a few years ago, and it fell apart during the first meet. It zipped up the front, and the zipper went ::BOING:: during a 50. Another swimmer at the same meet had the same problem.

I have worn Aquablades, Fastskins, the Victor Millennium, and the Arena Powerskin. Just got a new Speedo FS2, and it looks like a great suit. I can't wait to race in it. A majority of the swimmers who made the US Olympic Team wore Speedo suits in the finals -- most of those were FS2 suits.

Two swimmers who made the team wearing TYR were Larsen Jensen and Erik Vendt...

Howard
July 21st, 2004, 03:11 PM
Most of those swimmers got free suits to wear or are on contract with speedo so the fact that lots wore a speedo doesn't mean it's the best. I wear an Arena powerskin and love it. I've also worn a victor and like it almost as much as the Arena. I'm not inclined to pay what the new speedo costs since I'm happy with what I have.

aquageek
July 21st, 2004, 03:13 PM
Is The Victor still in business? I haven't been able to get to their web site in quite a while. I thought they had pretty decent products.

breastroker
July 21st, 2004, 03:29 PM
99% of the swimmers were given many many new suits.

I sat outside every day in the TYR area, I believe they had three men and a woman make the team.

Because Speedo is the Official Sponsor of the Olympics, and they had the most money to throw arround, the swimmers wore their suits the most. The swimmers also got bags, towels and hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. Each swimmers got dozens of suits.

In fact there was rumors that some of the free suits were showing up on eBay. These were the suits that were not released to the public yet!

Tom Ellison
July 21st, 2004, 03:31 PM
Suit Chaser:
Do you work in the suit business?

Suit Chaser
July 21st, 2004, 03:36 PM
Tom,

Just an informed consumer...

SC

breastroker
July 21st, 2004, 03:42 PM
Holy tomoly - there are dozens of trials suits available, including one for you Canadians "This is a brand new black full body swim suit with grey stitching. Size 44. With tag .

Comes brand new directly from a canadian olympian with the canada leaf on the right chest "

leighandrandy
July 24th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Speaking of new suits, does anyone have any experience with TYR's new arm bands? I am curious whether there is a real benefit in using these?

Thank you.

Ramjet

Howard
July 24th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Maybe someone else knows for sure but I don't think they are approved by FINA.

laineybug
July 24th, 2004, 03:44 PM
last night on our local news there was a little blip about the 'new technology' in swim suits that we 'should be seeing in the olympics' and that 'many' swimmers wore at the trials. I thought they were going to talk about the FS-II. The clip was an animation showing a suit with ribs/bands going around the body in several places. These ribs supposedly cut down on drag by reducing the size of the wake created by the swimmer. Anyone know anything about these suits? Were there some swimmers wearing them at trials? Okay engineers out there, did I understand them correctly?

breastroker
July 24th, 2004, 03:46 PM
These ribs are from TYR, look them up on their web site, it is explained there.

Allen Stark
July 28th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Any idea why the full body fastskin II wasn't popular?

breastroker
July 29th, 2004, 12:00 AM
I found the last fastskin had more shoulder room and very little restriction in the sleeveless kneeskin. The original S2000 was restrictive.

My information at trials was the Fastskin II is very restrictive to shoulder movement. Did you notice there were very few men wearing the full body suit. If they were signed with Speedo, they wore the jammer or long jammers. Many of the larger women who wore the full body Fastskin II suts were wearing mens:D

Talk about full circle, there was a time when the men wore the womens full body suits for extra speed.

I heard the TYR is less restrictive, did not see any men in the Nike full body suits, only a couple of women. The men wore the Nike jammers.

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 29th, 2004, 10:58 AM
I think that for practice, Nike are the best. But for high performance it sdoes seem that Speedo FSII is the best.

Howard
July 29th, 2004, 11:36 AM
What do you base that judgement on?

ced357
July 30th, 2004, 03:35 PM
leighandrandy, I had read somewhere that they were not approved, and would not be sold. I don't remember where I read that but, I too was interested in those.

allswims
August 1st, 2004, 10:19 AM
I think that there was an article on www.swiminfo.com around the time that the swimsuit manufacturers were all announcing their new lines that said that the Tyr armbands had not been approved by FINA. Tyr was appealing and pointing to the full body suit. I haven't seen anything else since that article.

I found the link - here it is

http://www.clubswim.com/news-detail.asp?NewsID=3198

acj
August 5th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Concerning body coverage and swimsuits, see article in the SUNY at Buffalo newsletter of 8/5/04 -
http://www.buffalo.edu/reporter/vol35/vol35n46/articles/MollendorfDrag.html

Alicat
August 12th, 2004, 09:09 PM
I was listening to NPR today and heard a story that there is no scientific evidence that the new suits do much of anything according to the Swimming World editor.

He was basing this off the Counsilman facility tests/trials. What he did say was the swimmers believe that the suits work and therefore they swim faster. --There was talk of swimmers feeling more "buoyant" in the water.

The discussion then turned to the idea that the suits are "performance enhancing" gear and should not be allowed -based on the buoyant feeling and FINA rules.

The gauntlet has been thrown down! Anyone up for comments?
All in good fun of course!
Ali