PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

Social Misfit
July 28th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Hey, whats up, i just registered here and thought i would say hey. i'm new to the Tucson area, and am looking to get back into swimming. i swam in age groups and high school but haven't really been in a pool for close to 5 years, i'm military and have been here and there and back and never seem to find time. well now i want back in. Just kinda looking for somewhere to swim and meet some people who i don't work with, now i'm really outta shape and need to get better so any help with were to swim, clubs etc.... would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

azwaterbaby
July 28th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Hey...Welcome to Tucson. There's a great masters group that swims at the pool at U of A (Hillenbrand). I'm not sure what your work schedule is, but I do know they have a 6:30pm - 7:30pm practice. You can find more information about what other times they practice on this website under places to swim. They're called Ford Aquatics. Have fun!

Social Misfit
July 28th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the info. Right now i'm on a swing shift so i'll hafta find a day time work out, but it looks like the have one so thats cool. Do you swim with them? I was just curious if they have like a beginers type work out. Its been quite a while since i've been in the pool and i just kinda need to ease back into it. Well thanks again for the info!

azwaterbaby
July 28th, 2004, 09:28 PM
I used to swim with them, but I had to stop so that I could concentrate more on running. My running wasn't getting any faster through swimming.:rolleyes:

They usually give one workout at each practice and I would always modify it to meet my needs. I'm definitely not at the fast end of the swimming, so I could never make the distances and times. However, if you talk to the coaches, they're also willing to do the modifications for you in order to get out of the workout what the intent was. I know they also have a morning workout (not sure of the exact time) and a noon workout. I believe the cost is $40/month. I really enjoyed my time I spent swimming with the team. I found the other members to be really nice and funny people.

Social Misfit
July 28th, 2004, 09:54 PM
A runner huh? i've been known to do a little running before, not as much now as I used to, but i'm trying to get back into it. I'm suposed to be runing a 10k in Oregon in september, the Prefontain Memorial run, but i'm not sure if i'm going to be able too, the last time i ran it was when i was in high school, i've only been out like 5 years, but still, anyways, i'm rambling, i just wanted to say thanks again!!

Sam Perry
July 29th, 2004, 02:56 AM
Go to www.arizonamasters.org

All the Tucson information is available if you go to the links section. They have 3 workouts daily:

6:00 - 7:00 AM
12:00 - 1:00 PM
6:30 - 7:30 PM (I think)

All levels of swimmers there, you should have no problem getting back into the swing of things...

DesertSwimr
September 15th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Hey AZ swimmers!

I just joined this swimming forum! This is pretty awesome! Well, I've decided to swim again--hahahaaa--needless to say, its been awhile but *not trying to sound egotistical* I was pretty good and really enjoyed it. I don't know why I didn't start-up sooner than right now ... but ok, anyway, does anyone know the times of the Saturday morning swim practices at Hillebrand (sp)? I wanted to start tomorrow, but don't know what time! Can I just walk in and say "Hey what's up? I'd like to swim today"? Do I have to pay the fees on that same day?!?! .. Can someone let me know a.s.a.p.--I leave work in 2 hours!!!!

Thanks, y'all!!! ... Amanda