PDA

View Full Version : ESG's

Dan Kornblatt
August 2nd, 2004, 04:22 PM
Hi Everyone. I hope all of you had a fun time and good swims down here in Owego. The mix of the state paperwork and the USMS proceedures always makes for an interesting blend. I am sorry for the inconsistancies in some of the start times on Saturday. That is a good example of too many people not on the same page. I want to thank both Pickett Simpson and John Pilger for all their efforts in computerizing both the meet and the ESG entries and results. Gary Crossman, the pool manager at Owego, did a great job in running the computer and the timing system and adapting to our last minute seedings and additions due to entry mistakes. Its a tough job than throw in 90+ degree heat upstairs and it becomes really tough. We had 126 entries and just a few people didn't show up. Please get back to Pickett or myself on the format of Sat midday and Sunday morning. The thinking is it only requires one overnight from most parts of the state. Thanks all for swimming. Dan

Beards247
August 2nd, 2004, 05:18 PM
I think overall the meet was run very well - much faster than last year with more participants. That is a credit to the people who put the meet together and the facility.

I would consider running the longer events a little earlier, instead of starting at Noon, maybe starting @ 10, warmups @ 9, positive check-in by 9:30. I have no idea what people's travel itenerary's are like but I would assume with enough advanced notice, people can arrange their schedules.

Positive check in for the last event needs to be worked out a little better. When it is announced on the PA system - have the sheet already out there! Plenty of people heard the PA system, but were torn between waiting for the sheet and warming up.

Just my two cents,

Chris

Dana Gianniny
August 4th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Although I didn't swim at Owego this year, having participated in many past masters ESG's I thought I'd throw in my two cents regarding format. I have participated in several different formats, and the one I feel works best is the Saturday mid-day and Sunday morning format. I agree Dan, that starting mid-day is best because it allows for people to stay over only one night.

I also think that starting the distance races earlier (as per Chris' suggestion) would only discourage people from entering them if it meant travelling a day early. I hope to see us continue with the format used this year.

Dana

acj
August 5th, 2004, 03:32 PM
I thought the meet was very well run. I and many others were THRILLED to have a MEET PROGRAM in our hands. We could pick out and watch our friends in their heats, note their times, and keep ourselves on track. Thank you to all on ESG and local committee.

The difficulty I find with the midday start of the long swims(which I do not enter), is that the start of event #3 is uncertain, so I arrive for the posted "will not start before" time and then sit and wait.

Lane 8
September 2nd, 2004, 03:08 PM
Hi Guys...

Any idea when the Empire State Games Official Results w/Splits will be posted? If you can forward me a copy via e-mail to cconnor@buffalo.edu that would be great as well.

Best,

Chris