PDA

View Full Version : the movie Open Water

hammerheadcm
August 6th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Is anyone plannning on seeing the movie Open Water? I saw the previews and decided I had better not. It was filmed in the Bahamas which is just too close to home. The Miami Herald, besides the vulgar language and nudity warnings also listed "shark-related intensity". the review makes it seem more intriguing than scary. maybe because the reviewer doesn't do ocean swimming.

knelson
August 6th, 2004, 03:45 PM
I guess the actual event the movie is (loosely) based on happened on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. From what I've read there's no evidence that the divers were killed by sharks, but that's Hollywood for you :)

It looks like it could be good, but I'm sure I'll wait for the DVD.

sdswimmer
August 9th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Don't know about the movie but during yesterday's swim (9 mile coastal swim) I saw a huge shark down deep and swam up close to the support boats for a while. Everyone was al ittle jumpy, Later a plane flew overhead pulling a trailer for "open water" with a big shark on it (although ti looks more like a fish than a shark to me) I yelled to me paddler look a shark in teh air, he misunderstood and almsot got me pulled fomr the water in the ensuing panic before finally looking up and laughing. I think I have to see that movie!

jim clemmons
August 9th, 2004, 04:42 PM
The movie has received "thumbs up" from both Ebert and Roeper due to the "emotional drain" aspect.