PDA

View Full Version : Swim Training for Beginners?

Lucky
August 9th, 2004, 10:25 AM
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on a beginners workout program for swiming laps? I have only been swimming 9 laps per day and started on saturday.

u352
August 9th, 2004, 11:10 AM
My biggest advice is to get yourself into a routine. Just go to the pool and dedicate yourself to being there for a certain amount of time. You will improve over time too.

Guvnah
August 10th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Lucky -- Don't try to bite off too much too quickly. Stick with your 9 laps for a few workouts. Then bump it up to 10 for a few more. You're probably resting at the end of each one now. Somewhere along the way try doing 2 laps before resting. Then 2 reps of 2 the next time. Perhaps you can work at increasing your distance between rests on days that you don't increase your number of laps.

And you might not want to start off doing this every day at first. Take a day off between swimming workouts. When you think you might be ready to do a daily workout, perhaps you should drop back on the distance each day initially.

If you're just starting out, this would be a good time to work on proper stroke mechanics so that you don't have to re-learn it after your muscle memory has poor form ingrained.

Ryan@ICoachSwimming
August 11th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Good advice so far - Since you're just getting started, I would seek the advice of someone with some stroke experience. If you're at a pool with other swimmers, ask someone if they would take a look at HOW you're swimming. Maybe with a little bit of stroke feedback, you can stretch those 9 laps into 11 or 12 by swimming EASIER.

Ryan@ICoachSwimming.com
www.ICoachSwimming.com