PDA

View Full Version : How to find a suit that lasts long enough for the swim!

sdswimmer
August 9th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Okay finsihed a long swim yesterday-it was supposed to be 8 miles, turned in to over 9 (a swap in support crew caused this one but at least I got to swim). Here's the thing, I'm always having trouble with my suits. I prefer 2pc workut bikinis. I chose a suit I had worn for 2 longer training swims that was not that old. Halfway through the swim the top got loose and started sliding around and rolling up-all the way up. The third time it rolled i just pulled it off and asked for my spare. This is not the first time my suit particularly the top, has failed but it was newer than most. So what suits work and last and don't chafe?
This was a speedo, I've also ahd Tyr's fail so who is making a true long distance suit??

SD

Guvnah
August 10th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Are you saying that a nearly brand new suit (top) didn't last you through one swim? How long does 9 miles take you? Even if it is 9 hours, it just doesn't compute for me that a suit doesn't last you that long...

Maybe there is something in your stroke that causes it to pull strangely? Perhaps something in your shoulder movement causes pulling on the straps. What if you tried a tube design instead of one with straps over your shoulder...

What if you wore a top that was one size smaller? (Or larger, but I would expect that to loosen up even faster...)

Wish I could offer first-hand experience here, but being male, I can only guess at things. Since there were no responses yet, I figured I would at least get some discussion started for you.

Leonard Jansen
August 10th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Are you using lots of vaseline to prevent chafing? Vaseline can actual dissolve many synthetic fibers (fairly quickly) and add in the abrasion factor and perhaps that is doing it? I have had some good luck with Tyr's Durafst line of suits, BTW.

sdswimmer
August 12th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Well I don't use vaseline- just a little bodyglide or a lot. 9 miles takes 4-5 hours and the suit was nearly new. I have had a tyr that was a month or so old disentigrate across that back-maybe tis swimming in salt and sun?
I've never seen a "tube" style I doubt that would stay up!

I haven't seen a smaller size, that might work but ti seems like its the lycra whatever fabric failing. Its so hard to find a style that fits and doens't chafe in the first place. Maybe I need a suit coach to see why i'm wearing them out?

Leonard Jansen
August 12th, 2004, 07:43 AM
How about sunscreen? (You SHOULD be using sunscreen.) I bet that certain brands would also have negative affects on Lycra.

Guvnah
August 12th, 2004, 12:20 PM
What's your opposition to using a one-piece? That may be the solution in the end.

sdswimmer
August 14th, 2004, 02:16 AM
I do use sunscreen-Bullfrog usually
one pieces seem to chafe too much, I have a long torso and scoliosis so i have a bit more upper body movement/rotation than normal.
I wonder if its the bullfrog, I sue a lot of it but what else could I use?