PDA

View Full Version : Drinking & open water swimming

Leonard Jansen
August 19th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Two lifeguards charged with disorderly conduct after trying to swim 4 miles home, post-drinking in busy harbor area.
http://www.app.com/app/story/0,21625,1029447,00.html

-LBJ

mattson
August 20th, 2004, 12:03 AM
After reading the title (but before checking the post), I thought this thread was about drinking lake water during your open water swim. :D

clyde hedlund
August 22nd, 2004, 05:12 AM
Shame on those harbor patrol types for interferring with the enjoyment of a midnight swim. Even if it was for 4 miles. I wonder how long it took the swimmers to complete the swim? Two hours maybe? Despite the outstanding performance of American Olympic swimmers, this incidence just confirms that swimming is still a 3rd world sport in the United States.

Guvnah
August 24th, 2004, 12:57 PM
I have mixed feelings about the whole matter.

As lifeguards in the area, I'm sure they knew they were swimming where they were not allowed to swim. They are clearly guilty of breaking the ordinance and should rightfully be charged for that.

At the same time, I think the authorities overreacted in calling for a search so quickly. Given the known skills of the pair, I think they should have waited an appropriate amount of time (perhaps 2 hours it would be expected they should be expected to do thge distance in) before panicking and calling for an expensive search. (And in the end, that's what the article said it took them to do it. 1:40 to 3:40.) Because of this, I think the pair should NOT be made to pay for the search.

The article said they "stripped down to their bathing suits and dove in". Did they just leave their clothes on the dock? Kind of odd, if you ask me.

I think they were stupid. Age (24 and 21) does not necessarily harbor wisdom. As open water lifeguards, they know safety rules for open water swimming -- ESPECIALLY IN A HARBOR which means higher boat traffic. At a minimum they risked getting run down by a boat that would have no chance of seeing them at night. And (at least when I was a youth living in NJ) that is not the cleanest water to be taking a 4-mile swim in. Two hours of putting your face in that stuff? YUCK! I hope that a prerequisite of their lifeguard job was to get a tetanus shot!

But as I read the article I couldn't help but feel a tinge of joy for the guys for making it, both for the distance in a relatively decent time under nighttime conditions without a spotter, and for their navigation skills. (Chances are, this isn't the first time they've done it.)

They'll probably lose their jobs, but summer's almost over anyway. I think they deserve a fine for breaking the ordinance, but they should not have to pay for the search.