PDA

View Full Version : swimming training

JoeItalia7
August 20th, 2004, 02:59 PM
I have always loved to swim and i've always been good at it. I swam alot when i was younger, i used to be called a fish. I stopped for a while and now i have been wanting to get back into it. i belong to lifetime fitness and i go there using the weight room, treadmill...etc. well i was wondering what is a good recommendation to start swimming again. i dont want to just swim around for fun, i want to use it to stay fit and build upon what i have, basically get into the shape that you would need to be a "good swimmer". also i was wondering what people do in the weight room as well to carry over what they do in the pool. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Superfly2005
August 20th, 2004, 04:59 PM
It is good to go swimming at a pool by yourself praticing over the four strokes making sure you have them in your mind. Then go to a manager of a pool and ask if he/she knows any clubs that are near by and have small prices. I started at a country club before getting into more advanced swimming. Baby steps is the key when you're getting back into swimming. You don't want to push yourself too fast or you'll burn-out and loath swimming. I've seen it happen and it doesn't ever work.
On top of a swimmer I'm a powerlifter plus many other things so I know what you should do for weight training and swimming. The main parts that you should work out in the weight room is your back, triceps, chest, abs, and quads. Do lots of pull ups and cable rows for your back. My back is the reason why I go so fast in butterfly. Do about 3 sets of failure on pull ups and 3 sets of 10 on rows increasing the weight each set. Bench press will get your chest big but you also want to make it fast so do dumb bell flies after bench. (3 sets of 15, 8, 4). Push downs are good for your triceps and are amazign for swimming you use your triceps more then you think and it will improve you speed dramaticly. (5 sets of 8) Leg press and squats will make your legs powerful enough to puish yourself off walls and the block blasting you to the lead. (4 sets of 12 on leg press and then 3 sets of 5 on squat) Your abs are real important in keeping the right posturet hrough a stroke. I do more then 100 crunches and at least 75 reverse crunch each day not to mention other excercises. Have fun and remember don't give up.

JoeItalia7
August 21st, 2004, 09:42 PM
thanks alot superfly. thats exactly the answer i wanted, a good idea of a workout to do. Ive had to many different workouts and they r jsut to boring, either that or im not gettin good results. well if you or neone else has any other ideas to add or nething u find out that works please let me know