PDA

View Full Version : new lease on swimming

Mary R.
August 27th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Yesterday I took a swimming lesson for the first time since the mid-80s. I'm on leave from work this week and decided to do my own 'swim camp' by asking one of the instructors at my pool to do a session with me.

What a revelation! We spent the 45 minutes on freestyle stroke and a bit on kicking. I learned to reach, and to roll; a new arm position, and the feel of the water is transformed. Now I understand why core strength is important for a swimmer.

I had learned to swim in the days when you kept your shoulders parallel to the water and just turned your head. (In fact, we didn't even have goggles then.)

Improving the kick is harder and do I ever have to concentrate!

Anyone else among those of us who first learned to swim in the 60s and 70s (I am 51) have such an experience?

I can't wait to go to the pool today to practice...and next lesson is backstroke on Sunday.

msgrupp
August 27th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Same experience here. Learned swimming back in the ole days of no goggles (like the early 60s). Have recently been having alot of trouble with my elbow and forearm. I learned to swim bilaterally in 1989 after shoulder surgery (one of many). After seeing the doctor the other day to have forearm/radial tunnel injected (NOT carpel tunnel) and commenting I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I asked one of the swim coaches at the outdoor pool I swim in to watch my freestyle. Turns out I'm straight arming it and the pull is what is doing me in. He gave me a few minutes of instructions, I'm using some webbed gloves (afraid of paddles with shoulders) and attempting to turn my hand at an angle before swooping under my body. Will see on Saturday if I'm getting it. It slows me down (one suggestion) and I'm concentrating on what I'm doing. Hopefully this will prevent further injury. Right now the only injury is to my poor brain and muscles trying to learn something new!

does any know where I can see some line diagrams of the strokes with hand angles? I did find a video source to see the strokes but it was underwater and it's hard to look at exactly what I'm looking for.

Mary R.
August 28th, 2004, 11:10 AM
As far as hand angles are concerned, Phillip Whitten's book 'The Complete Book of Swimming' has some excellent diagrams.

The best approach, at least for someone like me with, shall we say, not the highest level of kinesthetic intelligence, is to have someone show it to me. Then the book helps me review and visulaise better what I did.

Good luck with your Saturday swim! My own abs and back are telling me that they like this new style...