PDA

View Full Version : tempo trainer

castledrummer
August 29th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Does anyone have workouts for the tempo trainer. I have used
it before and I really like it. I am just wondering if anyone else uses it. Tempo training for 1650 I think would be the best but I don't quite understand the full training benefits of this device. Can anyone help me?

etrain
August 30th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Never really used one, I have a good tempo in my head, but that would be the way I train. We do a lot of 10x100's, usually on the 1:20-1:10. I will try to keep them all around or under the 1:10 for the 1:20's. This is sometimes hard so I might switch it up with negative splitting them.

Does the tempo training beep at you while you swim or what. I would think counting strokes would be better than something beeping at you. Have you tried googling it, maybe there is something out there about it.

I will look, but good luck to you...

Etrain:cool:

Kevin in MD
September 8th, 2004, 05:25 PM
coachesinfo.com has a section on training with the aquapacer. Aquapacer went out of business but the issues should still hold true.

Manticora
October 18th, 2004, 07:29 PM
I love my tempo trainer!!! I don't use it much in terms of working out, but in terms of practicing.

I bought it when I realized that whether I swam with a fairly modest amount of effort or swam very hard, my overall speed didn't change much - what a drag! (literally)

What I've used it for is this:
I started out setting the trainer to beep at 1.00 second intervals, which is about my most efficient speed. I counted my strokes per length (16 with only a small push-off from the wall).

Then I sped up to .95 seconds per stroke and used that pace until I matched the 16 strokes per length. I did one length at a time and made sure I was well rested at all times, because this was about technique.

Then .90 per stroke...

You see what I'm getting at. It really helped me to focus on every little bit of technique and I feel has been a huge benefit to me in staying efficient while turning over faster - which is the key to swimming faster! Not anywhere near where I'd like to be yet, but I feel very confident that with my "system" I'm going to get there!

hooked-on-swimming
November 1st, 2004, 06:02 PM
I was also considering using a tempo trainer, seems like it could help with decreasing SPL and time spent on performing them.Where can I get a good deal on one of those and which ones would you recommend.
Thanks.

knelson
November 1st, 2004, 06:21 PM
http://www.finisinc.com/