PDA

View Full Version : La Jolla Rough Water Swim 12 Sept 04

Flying Fish
August 31st, 2004, 05:31 PM
Hello.

Is anyone registered for the La Jolla Rough Water Swim at the Cove on Sunday, September 12?

If so, do you have any humorous and/or helpful stories to share regarding past open water events?

It's my first ocean swim and I'm greatly looking forward to it.

I appreciate the excellent advice I read so far in various threads on this forum in anticipation of the competition.

Good luck to all the participants.

sdswimmer
September 1st, 2004, 02:15 AM
I've been kayak support for this swim its too crowded for me!
As a supporter I once tried to head off the lead pack who were headed out to sea, they got angry so I just followed them as much of the main pack swam past them and on to the turn-around. Remember the kayakers are your friends and the LJC swim club does a good job of training them!

On the down side this is one place i've had to deal with hypothermic swimmers following a sudden temp drop.

I swim this course a few times a week and there are great things to see. You'll be swimming acorss the edge of La Jolla Canyon which means the water under oyu can be deeper than the Grand Canyon! I usually see lots of rays, sometimes huge herds of dolphins, seals fish and small sharks!

Enjoy!

Flying Fish
September 2nd, 2004, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the info, sdswimmer! I will keep my eyes open for the beautiful underwater creatures you mentioned . . . and be careful about hypothermia should I encounter cold water along the course. I appreciate your experience. How fortunate that you get to swim around the Cove several times a week!

sdswimmer
September 5th, 2004, 11:06 PM
HI FF
I hope you get to get in and try out the cove before the swim. RIght now the water is very warm! TOday there's quite a bit of chop and surf but that should calm down over the week. I jsut hope it stays warm for you.
Here's some hints too the longshore current tensds to hug the shore and pushes you towards the cove so you want to check this out before/ during the swim-look at the kelp. If it was as it often is I'd be heading out towards the end of the pier-as far out to sea as possible and back closer to teh shore-siting on the 1/4 mile buoy. Remember though that currents change constantly. so you need to check them out for yourself!
-SDS

Flying Fish
September 11th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Thanks for your input, sdswimmer. I will be aware of the currents. I am going to do my best to get into the Cove before the big day. I'm glad it's warm and hope it stays that way!

sdswimmer
September 11th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Its even warmer as of today and pretty clear and calm-good luck and have fun!!

Flying Fish
September 19th, 2004, 03:09 PM
What a great swim! Indeed the water conditions were fine. I highly recommend this event to all! Thanks for all your input, sdswimmer. I am already looking forward to next year!