PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning for 200 Fly

Madame Butterfly
August 31st, 2004, 08:57 PM
Hi everyone--
I'm trying to get myself into shape so that I will be able to swim 200m butterfly. Up to this point I've only been swimming 50m butterfly and I've done a bit of 100m fly, but I never seem to have the endurance for the 200m and even the 100m can be a challenge sometimes. What can I do to get myself into shape? Thanks very much for your help.

n8.
August 31st, 2004, 09:02 PM
which you probably don't want to hear...is to keep doing fly. Ask yourself realistically why you can't complete a 200. Is it because you just physically can not do it and for fear of drowning you stop? or is it because it hurts but deep down inside you know that you could keep going if you had to but its easier to stop. As a long time masters coach, I've had many a swimmer come to me and say, there is NO way i can do a 200. I can barely do a 100! So I ask them what the hurdle is...if its purely physical, the answer is to keep doing it. A lot. However, if deep down you are not sure and you think that maybe you could push yourself a little harder...i bet you'd be surprised.

Freestyler
September 1st, 2004, 10:59 AM
1) As n8 said, you just need to train more butterfly. Doing repeats of 50 flys in practice will not prepare you for the 200 Fly. Try doing repeats of 100s or broken 200s to build your endurance up. But before you do this, it is probably best to . . .

2) Work on perfecting your technique of the stroke. Anyone can go out with a sloppy freestyle technique and get through a 200. That's not going to happen in fly. It would be a good idea to incorporate fly drills into the warmup of each of your workouts and where ever else you can fit it in. Concentrate on everything from drills that keep your stroke long and strong to working on perfect streamlines off the wall (a key to making it through any fly swim over 50 yards).

While working on the drills, add some distance freestyle training to your workouts. This will help build your endurance before you try to tackle a set of 6 X 100 flys. Good luck.

jean sterling
September 1st, 2004, 02:15 PM
Improving technique is definitely the way to go. With good technique you will find that you CAN swim easy fly - which with poor technique seems an impossibility. Also try altering fly with fly drills, and try doing 25s with short rest intervals.

Alicat
September 1st, 2004, 04:15 PM
--Or at the very least you can REALLY work on your underwater swimming and off the walls streamlining --some people only need to swim 150-175 yards of fly!