PDA

View Full Version : completely new!

rasmusic
September 4th, 2004, 08:55 PM
i am sure this has come up a bunch of times, but im college student who just got inspired by the recent games at athens to get into shape. i workout as most college students do, when someone drags me to the gym or i just get really really overwhelmed. but for the most part, my relationship to the water is slim (mostly because i hate the way i look in a suit) neverminf that now, i want to get into shape and i want to use swimming to acheive a more streamlined-lean look.

anyways, i was wondering if ne1 knew ne good workouts or how to start and what other out-of-pool workouts are good?

im willing to dedicate like close to 4 hours a day to this (yea i know, insane, but i REALLY want to get into shape and well, i get bored easily bored by running in one place and the elliptical...there are only so many times you can read the red-eye or other trashy newspapers in an hour!)

Rena
r-shah@northwestern.edu

thisgirl13
September 5th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Hi, Rena! First, let me tell you that swimming is something that you get hooked on once you get started. Second, it will definitely get you into shape, but you have to make sure you get the right nutrition if you're willing to spend 4 hours a day on it. (Read: Low carb is NOT a good idea)

Okay, if you're actually looking for workouts/routines to do, you can go to this website called www.swiminfo.com At the top, there should be a link called "workouts". They are practices posted by other swimmers, and some coaches, and you can search for the, based on ability level, time, and endurance, etc.

I wouldn't recommend going for 4 hours right away, lol. The workouts will be different for you, because you're focusing more on getting in shape and using this for recreation than competition, but a lot of competition practices last between 1 and 2.5 hours, and the intensity level is what changes.

No matter how you decide to go about this, welcome to the aqua world!

rasmusic
September 7th, 2004, 10:11 PM
thank you so much!

well i get back to campus in about a week, so ill be starting everything then. and yea, right now, its just recreation, but who knows in the future.

rena

Kevin in MD
September 8th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Very glad to see you are inspired to swim. However you mention the treadmill, why not run outside? It's much nicer out there.

Scansy
September 9th, 2004, 12:07 AM
You didn't ask me, but here is my 2 cents worth:) .

I run outside some and on a treadmill some. I did a short tri this summer and plan to do more. I use the time outside for general endurance (distance). I use the treadmill indoors for interval training. We have a treadmill that I can program my own workout in. I will do a warmup and then do 1-2 minutes at a high speed followed by 5 minutes at a jog, repeating several times. I think that this has helped my running almost as much as intervals have helped my swimming.

I can't speak for rasmusic, but that's why I incorporate a treadmill in once a week.