PDA

View Full Version : how should I eat?

hooked-on-swimming
September 6th, 2004, 05:43 PM
I am 24 and just took swimming about two months ago.Previously i was involved in weightlifting for 5 years and now got really fascinated by swimming.As a lifter I was used to very frequent meals(up to 5-6 times a day).I was wondering how different it is in swimming as far as frequency and ammounts of food to be consumed.What should one consume in calories based on body weight considering daily 1-2 hour work-outs,
Thanks a lot,
Dima.

etrain
September 7th, 2004, 11:28 AM
You will eat alot...

I was training really hard this summer, mornings (mon-fri) of around 4000-5000 yards and evenings (mon, wed, thurs) of 3000-3500 with some sat and suns in there every once in awhile. I would eat a bowl of cheerio's before the morning and then eat some pop tarts after practice to make it to the morning snack around 10:30 at work. I took lunch at 11:30 and then had another snack round 4:00 and sometimes an apple or something before the evening practice. Then I would have supper around 7:00 and then a snack around 9:00 because I was starving again.

And yes I did lose weight throughout this program of eating 5-6 times a day. You will feel most hungry right after swimming. I read somewhere that you should eat fig newtons right after practices because for some reason or another they have everything you need right after practice. Haven't tried it but I might, don't really like fig newton's.

Sorry for the ramblings, probably what you will want to do is just see how your body reacts to the change. For me, after a weight lifting session I was never really hungry like I am after almost every swim workout. If you start to gain weight then find some other foods or fruits to eat, if you lose a lot then maybe increase your intake.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the water!!!

Etrain

mattson
September 7th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by etrain
Haven't tried it but I might, don't really like fig newton's.

Hey Erik, glad to see that you've recovered from the mile/400 IM at Nationals. :) Also, if you don't like fig, you can try strawberry newtons. (Unless it is the "fig" part that is recommended.)

Alicat
September 7th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Hi all,

Interesting question, when I was training oodles of yards, the BIG thing was to eat carbs.

CARBS CARBS CARBS CARBS CARBS CARBS CARBS CARBS CARBS CARBS CARBS CARBS CARBS CARBS CARBS CARBS CARBS CARBS

Did I mention the eating thing was CARBS?

Before races, I would eat an apple for the simple sugars and white bread --yea the carbs again.

Now carbs are what is getting everyone fat, depending on what diet plan one is on...

What is the trend in sports nutrition these days? I tend to have a "balanced diet" with less carbs, a little more protein, lots of veggies and fruit.

I'm in therapy for the whole carb thing now! LOL!

clyde hedlund
September 20th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Latest recomendation to pop up on the computer was drinking chocolate milk after a workout or event. Pretty economical and practical too. I would think the soy version would work as well for recovery?

bitwiz
September 21st, 2004, 02:09 PM
There are some nice articles on swimming nutrition at PoweringMuscles website (http://69.94.64.50/poweringmuscles.com/category.php?category_id=6)

Basically, keep eating what you were eating while lifting weights.

It's not carbs making people fat, it's the quantity of carbs.

Conniekat8
September 23rd, 2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by bitwiz

It's not carbs making people fat, it's the quantity of carbs.

I think this really needs highlighting!!!!!

And in addition, high quantity of protein or fat will make people fat as well.

Balance and knowing what your body needs is the key!
Anti carb fad is just that... a fad.

Scansy
September 24th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Conniekat8
I think this really needs highlighting!!!!!

And in addition, high quantity of protein or fat will make people fat as well.

Balance and knowing what your body needs is the key!
Anti carb fad is just that... a fad.

I agree. It seems that people who are going low carb loosing weight because they are also going low calorie as a consequence. Low carb means - no fast food, no ice cream, no potato chips, etc., etc., etc.

geochuck
September 24th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Scansy
I agree. It seems that people who are going low carb loosing weight because they are also going low calorie as a consequence. Low carb means - no fast food, no ice cream, no potato chips, etc., etc., etc.
How sad!!! I just drove, 7000 miles what would I do without fast food? If you train enough you can almost eat anything. You must have carbs, protien and fat but dont forget some fiber. I read the balance should be 40/30/30. I am sure you will find all kinds of suggestions about a proper balanced diet.

George (I LOVE PIZZA) www.swimdownhill.com

clyde hedlund
September 24th, 2004, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by geochuck: I read the balance should be 40/30/30.

Hey!! I remember back in '92, that, that was the "Stanford Swim Team Diet?" And didn't Pablo Morales credit this diet for his winning performance in some swimming magazine? And this diet was considered far superior over the high carb diet favored by some rival Texas college?

geochuck
September 24th, 2004, 04:25 PM
It is also called the zone diet see it here http://www.formulazone.com/Index.asp

George Park www.swimdownhill.com

clyde hedlund
September 25th, 2004, 04:06 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by geochuck
[B]It is also called the zone diet

Yeah, I know all about them copy cat diets, but this one was tested out on swimmers and highly recommended by Stanford swim coaches who produced actual successful swimming results with it before it was exploited as a fad. The big difference was eichosanoids, or the production of good eichosanoids, which none of the other "40/30/30" fad diets mention at all.

geochuck
September 25th, 2004, 01:51 PM
http://www.swim-city.com/library.php3?id=116

Barry Sears explaines the diet here.

George www.swimdownhill.com

clyde hedlund
September 27th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by geochuck
http://www.swim-city.com/library.php3?id=116

Barry Sears explaines the diet here.

George www.swimdownhill.com

Thank you George,
Unfortunately, Barry doesn't discuss at all on the production of good eichosanoids in this article. Now, in the past, he did differentiate his work from others in that his "zone" thing was all about good eichosanoid production and its impact on swimming performance. Too bad, for I consumed my last Eicho Tech bar 11 years ago and I'm getting tired of eating apples and cottage cheese. clyde

geochuck
September 27th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by clyde hedlund
Too bad, for I consumed my last Eicho Tech bar 11 years ago and I'm getting tired of eating apples and cottage cheese. clyde
If you really want a lift pineapple juice and mix in a tablespoon of raw gelatine purchased from the bulk food counter and you have a great mixture.

George

clyde hedlund
September 27th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by geochuck
If you really want a lift pineapple juice and mix in a tablespoon of raw gelatine purchased from the bulk food counter and you have a great mixture.

George

Now George, the pineapple juice is great after a workout, but since it is acidic, I'd avoid it before a workout. However, regarding raw gelatine, I'd be concern about prions or BSE - infectivity? clyde