PDA

View Full Version : endurnace

spintwo
September 8th, 2004, 10:47 PM
I have no endurance and horrible breath efficinecy. My friend who DOES swim for a club, says he can go down and back on the length of the pool while I can barely make it halfway. How can I incrase the time I hold my breath? (The word i was looking for: lung capacity) How do I incraese lung capacity?

Also, I've heard increasing enudrance was best achieved by steadily, longer laps?

etrain
September 9th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Do a search in here and you should find your answers. My advice, take it slow, this is not going to happen over night. I first started swimming my freshman year in high school. Before that all I did was play baseball and basketball, swimming is a lot harder and took me awhile to build up the endurance to swim more than a 50. By the end of the first season I was swimming the 200 and 500, yes granted the high school season is not very long but I was in the pool every day.

Again, take it slow and you will do just fine.

Unless you are in a race or doing breath control stuff you probably shouldn't be holding your breath. Being a distance swimmer I will breath every stroke, even on fast 50's in practice. It sounds like your friend is a sprinter who probably trains to do 50's no breath. I have never trained that way but it kind of sounds like your cardio needs some work. Swimming will do it, but you might want to run a little as well.

Stick with it and you will be fine...

Etrain