PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Evolution of Speed Workout

swimgirl78
September 11th, 2004, 12:02 AM
I tried one of these workouts for the first time this morning. It was a great workout, but extremely tiring! I'm very proud that I made it through the 1000 IM without cheating. :)

However, while swimming the workout two questions came up:

1) With the cross-legged, no buoy pull, what am I supposed to be concentrating on? My legs sink when crossed...am I supposed to try to keep them at the surface, or is it an exercise to make my pull stronger?

2) The uh2o turns are very disconcerting. Again I'm not sure what to concentrate on. Can someone explain the logic behind the underwater flip turn drill?

Thank you Nate for a great workout!

swimgirl78
September 14th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Anyone?:confused:

Rob Copeland
September 14th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Have you tried emailing Nate?

To first thank him for the excellent workout and second to ask him what his objectives were.

swimgirl78
September 14th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Oops....I only saw the AOL IM when reading the introduction. :D

Thanks!

n8.
September 14th, 2004, 07:42 PM
1) With the cross-legged, no buoy pull, what am I supposed to be concentrating on? My legs sink when crossed...am I supposed to try to keep them at the surface, or is it an exercise to make my pull stronger?

There are two major points behind this drill...before I go into that understand that your legs SHOULD be sinking...and as you will discover, when you cross them one way they sink less than the other way, you will find that you have a strong side and a weak side. Point #1 of this drill is turnover. You will need to at least DOUBLE your turnover in order to continue to move forward. For lots of people, increasing turnover is an exceptionally hard objective to complete. Along with that, point #2 is to finish at your hips. As I mentioned before, you have a strong side and a weak side. When you cross your legs to your strong side, you will find it easier to swim because you naturally finish closer to the hip on that side (99% of the time its your breathing side) and your weak side is weak because you finish at your core section. So, focus on finishing at the hip on both sides (with the legs crossed each way) and focus on turnover. It's a pure muscle drill and you should feel very tired when done.

2) The uh2o turns are very disconcerting. Again I'm not sure what to concentrate on. Can someone explain the logic behind the underwater flip turn drill?

Again, there are two pieces here which are the focus of this drill. Number one is to work the lungs. That goes without saying after your first flipturn. The deeper you go the better because you have to work your kick that much harder to get back up and because you have to work your kick harder, your lungs have to send more O2 to the thighs. Secondly, your abs and back get a great workout because you have ZERO momentum to flip. Therefore your flip is generated entirely from your abs and lower back. You can also do this drill during the fly and breast and use a 2 hand turn. Remember, regardless of which stroke you do, you want to get off the wall as far as possible.

Good luck...

swimgirl78
September 14th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Thank you very much. That was a great explanation and I can honestly say I was doing everything wrong. :)

Again, I appreciate your great, yet demanding, workouts.

n8.
September 14th, 2004, 08:08 PM
you are more than welcome...i do want to amend my previous reply to say that the lungs have to send much more O2 to the QUADS not the thighs... :-) ...although im sure everyone's thighs would appreciate it, the quads appreciate it much more.

mitffoch
November 6th, 2004, 12:43 AM
I found one more benefit of underwater flip turns. When I first tried them, I couldn't complete them - I just couldn't do the rotation under water, my legs somehow ended up above the surface and then because my awkward position, I couldn't even push it off the wall.

I realized what my coach long time ago was trying to correct in my flip turns. I was making my turns with my legs not curled so I had not much momentum when turning. I tried to curl my legs at the knees under the water and it went much better, then I tried the same thing in regular swim and my flip turn was so much faster...I finally understood what I was doing wrong all these years...

Thanks!