PDA

View Full Version : Hosting a Meet

Danica
September 11th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Hays, Kansas would like to host a meet at the Center for Health Improvement. We have just started up a Masters program but have found out that many of the meets are pretty far away from Western Kansas. I am in search of the procedures needed to accomplish the task of hosting a masters meet and any advice any one can give me.

The Center has a six lane pool (25 yds.) We also have the capability to have electronic clocks. If there is another Masters program who would like to co-host an event that would be awesome also. Let me know!

Thanks for your help!

PS If you know of any semi-close events coming up, would you please also pass on the information.

Hope to hear some encouraging words from you soon.

Danica

ALM
September 11th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Danica,

Please e-mail me directly. I can give you information on running a meet.

Our upcoming events are listed on the Missouri Valley web site, which can be found here:

http://community.lawrence.com/movy/

Anna Lea Roof
Registrar, Missouri Valley
AnnaLea@usms.org

jackkangaroo
September 12th, 2004, 09:54 PM
This is my advice on hosting a meet - start small - and start as far ahead of time as you can.

The following are my notes for meets from 20 to 80 people...

It takes time to ..
- get the meet sanctioned and ON the calendar (statewise and regionally) - I suggest 4-6 months
- Known the USMS rules for meets (1 lane must be open for warm ups and EVERYONE must be a USMS member)
- Get your volunteers lined up
= pre- meet publication and registration
= during meet people
= get your officials AHEAD of time...and be careful about HS season - they are busy.
= timers !!!!! (hardest one of all)
= how you are going to run the meet
= food/social/entertainment/awards (?)
Don't plan on competing yourself - it is tiring...always lots of things to do...

There a a bunch of pre-meet questions that you might want to ask your meet organizers...
- same day registration or pre-reg only
- seeding if same day registration
- awards, if any and how quickly will they be out...

And I highly recommend "Meet manager"...if you can tie it into your timing system....even better.

There is more here....thats I can think of right away.

jack