PDA

View Full Version : Masters in Memphis

cdrmark
September 14th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Need help trying to find a good team in the Memphis area - preferably around Cordova Germantown. Have made some phoneinquiries but not received any response as of yet. At a point am swimming well enough - but know some flaws in my stroke and think could use a good coach. Any help out there? Thanks!!!!!!

Rob Copeland
September 14th, 2004, 01:52 PM
From swimmersguide.com :
Mason YMCA
Address: 3548 Walker Ave. , Memphis , TN , UNITED STATES (Postal Code: 38111)
Telephone: (901) 323-4505.
Masters swim team: The Mason YMCA Masters. Contact Obel James at 323-4505.

You could also try emailing the Southeastern Chairman Steven Fair (SEChair@usms.org )

korey
February 26th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Need help trying to find a good team in the Memphis area - preferably around Cordova Germantown. Have made some phoneinquiries but not received any response as of yet. At a point am swimming well enough - but know some flaws in my stroke and think could use a good coach. Any help out there? Thanks!!!!!!

Your are welcome to come join us at Cordova Athletic Club, we swim Tuesday and Thursday from 5-6 am right now, the masters group I started has only been meeting for about two months, we welcome new members.
K

beachwolverine
February 27th, 2009, 05:33 PM
There is Masters Swimming at Prarie Life Fitness in Collierville. Tue and Thur at 5:30am and Mon/Wed at 5:00 or 5:30pm.

Not really a team or a coach, more of a designated time. They do post workouts. Personally, I swim Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun mornings and do another workout on Tue and Thur morning as the pool is more crowded for the Master's Swim and there doesn't seem to be any coaching or help going on.

I've just started swimming again and unfortunately, Memphis, and the whole area for that matter, does not seem to offer a lot of competitive swimming.

If you find something, please post it here. I'm recreational/fitness and not that serious, but I would be interested to know what else is going on in the area.

gregjweber
March 5th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I recenly moved to Memphis myself and am disappointed at the lack of organized Masters Swimming in the area. I tried in vain to find a team. I was very involved in Masters Swiming In Ilinois before I moved here. Currently I swim with the masters at Prairie Life Fitness in Collierville, but as was pointed out, its more of a group of swimmers swimming together rather than a coached workout.

fastjames
July 13th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I am more of a lone shark swimmer and train solo. But I do know that Schilling Farms YMCA has a pretty decent pool (plus an outdoor one I have never swam in). You might check and see if they have a masters team. I know they have youth teams there.

Also you might check out "los locos". they seem to have coached swimmers in that triathlon group.

Daniel Slosberg
September 26th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I'll be in the Memphis area next week for a brief visit and would like find a place to swim. Are there any of the places mentioned on this board amenable to drop-ins?

Thanks,

-Daniel Slosberg

nandestafney
September 28th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Our Memphis Team is Greater Memphis masters. The contact person is Bruce Firehock 901-634-0032. bhfirehock@midsouth.rr.com.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Nan DeStafney
Se LMSC Chair
NanDeStafney@yahoo.com

swimdawg
January 5th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Hi there,

I am trying to register to USMS (first timer), and I do not see a Memphis team in the club listing. Should I just register as UNAT?

Also, is anybody planning on going to the Auburn meet?

Thanks!!!