PDA

View Full Version : new swimmer

rasmusic
September 15th, 2004, 12:29 PM
i just had my first serious swim in over 4 years. it was a really bad swim, poor form, couldnt get my breathing right kept bouncing from one side of the lane to another and looow endurance. any suggestions of in-pool/out-of-pool workouts??

the workout i attempted was 30 sec swim, 15 sec rest times 10 for both the freestyle and backstroke.

Rena

Dave60625
September 20th, 2004, 12:32 PM
I picked up a pretty decent book this weekend that might be of help. It is called "Fitness Swimming" and it was written by Emmett Hines. There are six different workout groups. The first couple focus on drills to help improve form and technique.

The workouts for the first phase (Hines calls this the Green Zone) are generally 700 - 800 yards total and can be completed in 20 - 30 minutes. The final zone in the book is the Red Zone and those workouts are 3,000 - 3,500 yards and can be completed in 50-60 minutes.

I did my first T15 test this morning. My cruise pace per 100 yards was slightly below average, but this is to be expected as I have recently started my swimming program. Tomorrow I am going to start the Green Zone workouts.

Hope this helps!

Manticora
September 21st, 2004, 12:15 PM
Rena, I just got back in the pool a couple of weeks ago after many years off, and experienced exactly the same kind of problems you did. I swam competitively in the Dark Ages (late 70's-early 80's) and technique wasn't exactly a big focus.

I purchased the Total Immersion video and within two days, my stroke count to cover a given distance had fallen by over a full third!!! I never swam so easily or fluidly and my workouts have improved 100%. You might check it out - for me, it was easily worth the $40.

Their website can be found at:

http://www.totalimmersion.net