PDA

View Full Version : Swim Magazine,What Happened?

Allen Stark
September 21st, 2004, 11:48 PM
I just read at" swiminfo.com" that the USMS board of directors voted to start "our" own magazine and no longer affiliate with SWIM. Their article presents the SWIM point of veiw,but it is a compelling argument against this action.What is the other side & what does everyone think?

Sam Perry
September 21st, 2004, 11:49 PM
I think it's ridiculous and it stinks. I will go on record saying that.

Bert Bergen
September 22nd, 2004, 12:47 AM
As much as I sometimes feel trampled by the ego coming out of SWIM Magazine, their coverage and support of USMS cannot be measured by anyone. I look forward to many strong articles about USMS written by those with managed care, game warden, and golf course maintainence backgrounds. This is an embarrasment and USMS should be ashamed. The delegates who voted for this and those in charge who introduced and lobbied for this are apparently clueless; where was the harm in the existing relationship? Put me on record as well. What a joke.

nyswim
September 22nd, 2004, 08:01 AM
seems there were a lot of Richmond voices in the decision process prior to the vote to give the job to a Richmond company.

Article posted on Convention board

Rob Copeland
September 22nd, 2004, 09:39 AM
Based, solely on the article on swiminfo.com (which as disclosed in the article, is owned by SPI, which also owns Swim) I can see how some would rush to judgment and condemn the actions of USMS. However, as a member of the USMS House of Delegates, I was thankfully provided additional information upon which to base my vote.

For instance, I didn’t see anywhere in the swiminfo article that the total anticipated subscription cost of Swim would exceed $5.3 Million, over the life of the contract, assuming a 2% membership growth. While the Douglas Murphy proposal has the upside potential of being a revenue generating vehicle for USMS. So why is it ridiculous to generate revenue instead of spending $5.3 Million?

And before people start blasting me for inaccurate reporting… While I relatively sure my numbers are accurate, they are also misleading. My point it that while we are all entitled to our opinions about decisions made, it wouldn’t hurt to have more facts in hand before rushing to judgment.

Also, before we accuse our representatives of being apparently clueless, wouldn’t it have been nice to contact them and ask why they voted as they did. You may find that some were actually well informed, basing their decisions on the information presented from both sides of this issue.

With all that said, my real reason for posting is to encourage all of us to continue to support Phil, Brent and the entire SPI family by continuing to subscribe to Swim Magazine “The World’s Foremost Authority on Adult Swimming”!

aquageek
September 22nd, 2004, 09:48 AM
Such a big rush to judgement. Maybe someone can explain the benefits of this move to those of us USMS members. SWIM Magazine is a good read but if we get something better, why is that such a bad thing? And, what reason do we have to believe that game wardens and managed care professionals are going to publish and edit the new magazine? For the record, I don't know any professional swimmers in USMS (although I'm sure there are some here and there) so the diversity of background might bring a unique perspective to a new magazine.

Tom Ellison
September 22nd, 2004, 10:19 AM
I weight in with Rob & Geek on this one....well said Rob & Geek....

Let's wait to see what the folks who cast the vote have to say...

gull
September 22nd, 2004, 02:32 PM
I was really looking forward to being featured on Swimming World TV (with Natalie Coughlin, of course). Apparently that's "off the table" now. Maybe we can start our own network, too--This Old Swimmer, or something like that.

I had no idea those workout cards in SWIM were so valuable.

Anthony Thompson
September 22nd, 2004, 03:00 PM
I am glad people are reading the information on swiminfo.com, but I second the request that people read the information posted on usms.org for the pre-convention and minutes from convention.

As a voting delegate, I read the pre-convention packet, attended all the informational meeting, participated in the debate on the floor of the house of delegates(HOD), and made my decision. I have not heard anything from swimmers within my LMSC about the decision, but plan to volunteer information at our next LMSC meeting regrading this and other actions taken by the HOD at the convention.

Talk with your representative LMSC delegates. Note the slim voting approval of the decision by the HOD. If you disagree with the HOD vote, contact the Board of Directors (BOD) or the executive committee (EC) who make decisions between HOD meetings ( names and contact information is on the website, usms.org). I suspect that neither the BOD or EC will stop from moving forward with negotiating and finalizing a contract with Douglas Murphy Communications.

If you do not feel like your LMSC delegate represented your views at convention, consider becoming a delegate in 2005 and come to the convention in North Carolina. Talk to your LMSC officers about the process they use to elect/choose delegate(s) base on your LMSC bylaws.

Anthony Thompson, LMSC Chair Missouri Valley

Allen Stark
September 22nd, 2004, 09:11 PM
I started this post because I wanted to get both sides of the story. If USMS saves money and we get a high quality product great. If that happens and SWIM is still published that will be good for me,as that will be two Masters magazines and I read all the swim stuff I can find. I do think someone on the Board should have made a post here about this before the meeting. Yes,we could have looked it up elsewhere,but when was the last time the Board had such a controversial issue. Maybe this is the right choice,but a little more warning would have made the decision less jarring.

ALM
September 23rd, 2004, 07:09 PM
Allen Stark wrote: >>>I do think someone on the Board should have made a post here about this before the meeting.<<<

A discussion was started on these Forums before the Convention (and is still ongoing). You can find it under the main heading "Convention" (not "General Discussions"); the thread title is "2004 USMS Convention NOTICE."

Anna Lea