PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Beard or Natalie Coughlin?

zizu
September 22nd, 2004, 09:26 PM
Out of the two who would you say is regarded as "the face" of US women's swimming? Just like Michael Phelps is "the face" of US men's swimming, or US swimming in general, who would you automatically think of if asked about the women's side of US swimming? Celebrity-wise I think Amanda Beard has a slight edge over Natalie Coughlin(I'm not sure...I don't live in the US) but reputation-wise(as a swimmer) I think Coughlin might hold a slight advantage over Beard. Is it so? Any ideas?

Tom Ellison
September 23rd, 2004, 09:08 AM
I'd say that was a tie ball game.....

tjburk
September 23rd, 2004, 09:13 AM
I'm with Tom....flip a coin on those two!!!:D

breastroker
September 23rd, 2004, 09:59 AM
I like Natalie better, but Amanda competes all around the world.
Natalie has done poorly in international competition, and has made one Olympic team.

Amanda competed in World Cup races the last four years with the 50, 100 and 200 breaststrokes, 200 IM and 200 free in short course meters. This is where her IM got so great. She has been in 3 Olympics, 1996, 2000 and 2004 and could compete in 2008. And she has posed in Maximum magazine. :p

So I think Amanda is the "face" and "body" of womens swimming.:p

Leonard Jansen
September 23rd, 2004, 11:34 AM
This thread is nothing more than the age old question:

Ginger or Mary Ann?

-LBJ

breastroker
September 23rd, 2004, 01:38 PM
Duh - Ginger of course:D

emmett
September 23rd, 2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by breastroker
Duh - Ginger of course:D

NO NO NO! I mean c'MON! Maryanne was the one that really lit up and MOVED when she got excited. Ginger was all show and no go. Bet Maryanne curls her toes!

gull
September 23rd, 2004, 06:42 PM
This is ridiculous.

Mary Ann, definitely.

breastroker
September 23rd, 2004, 10:29 PM
emmett,
I was the only one to get Ginger to "curl her toes" ;)

See what Leonard started:D

Come on, haven't any of you red blooded males gone out and bought Maximum magazine to see Amanda! There was another hot swimmer in it too.

Scansy
September 24th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Leonard Jansen
This thread is nothing more than the age old question:

Ginger or Mary Ann?

-LBJ

Why make a hasty choice? Heck, why make a choice at all? Like that old commercial says "Double your pleasure, double your fun....":cool:

maori
September 24th, 2004, 06:11 AM
In Italy we prefer Amanda!

mattson
September 24th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by breastroker
Come on, haven't any of you red blooded males gone out and bought Maximum magazine to see Amanda! There was another hot swimmer in it too.

As nice as those pictures were, sometimes I just don't understand photographer/models. I think Amanda is most attractive when she is flashing that megawatt smile, or has her "game face" (focused, intense right before swim). So of course, they have her doing the standard "doped up" model look. :rolleyes:

tjrpatt
October 11th, 2004, 11:01 PM
I prefer Amanda because she is obviously better looking even though those teeth. She seems like a cool chick because she went on the Stern show and held her own. Did Amanda go out with Sabir Muhammad, just wondering? I believe that Thorpe and Beard could have hooked up at Athens but I don't think that they are a couple because they are billion miles apart!!!!

breastroker
October 11th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Haley Cope is also cute, but she has that tounge stud:p
At 2004 World Cup the USA has the best looking women, also very articulate.

Rowdy Gaines mentioned he went out and bought the magazines the US swimmers were in, "as a journalist".

Karen Duggan
October 12th, 2004, 12:14 AM
It's a good thing we're all swimmers because it's pretty shallow around here :p
I personally have to go with Aaron Peirsol (as compared to Phelps).
He's a doll!

Swimmer Bill
October 12th, 2004, 01:39 AM
I vote for Kaitlin Sandeno.

James
October 12th, 2004, 09:51 AM
My vote is for Summer Sanders. After all these years, She still makes me tingle!!:p

Scansy
October 12th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Just send them all my way - the women that is!:D

Seagurl51
October 13th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Im putting in a word for the girls here, and yes it's a totally cliche teenage answer (but im only 18 so it's allowed) and saying that Michael Phelps is absolutly adorable!!

justforfun
October 13th, 2004, 10:46 AM
I'll cast another vote for Summer...the second-best looking female swimmer of all time (behind my wife, of course!)

James
October 13th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by justforfun
I'll cast another vote for Summer...the second-best looking female swimmer of all time (behind my wife, of course!)

Suck up!!!

bckirkland
October 13th, 2004, 03:33 PM
I'm voting for Natalie. You can't beat that smile
:D Plus, I think I heard that she was a surfer girl, so that's cool in and of itself!

But this is not a knock by any means on Amanda, by all means she runs a very, very close second:D