PDA

View Full Version : getting back in to it

ryanorr
September 24th, 2004, 02:29 PM
I used to race and i had a great body along with it. i amtrying to get back to getting that great body again in the chest and shoulders. i used to just train to race but now i am not racing anymore so what shoudl i do to get back to the kinda body i had like what kinda reps or sets should i do if anyone can help that would be great thanks

Ryan

USMSarah
November 9th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Hi Ryan-

I understand too about the body that was once had in HS/College... the side benefit of working hard in the water. However, getting back in the pool and sticking with it (when we are older and more wise) is a different thing.

My advice to you:

I noticed that on my first swim back in the pool, the first 50 felt awesome and then after that everything turned into JELL-O. My arms felt like I wasn't even pulling my body through the water. However, a week later... I just started doing light weights at home (I have shoulder probs from college so I have to be careful). This has completely helped me at masters practice, my arms hang in there for the entire practice. I lift every other day and add in crunches. Remember tubing? That would be an excellent way to start to tone up top! Hee!

Start off slow, work on technique! Please stretch before and after your warm-up.

Don't overdo it at first, you won't stick around for long.

Feel the water on each stroke you take, and listen to your body. I too, miss my "swimmer shoulders" and I can't wait to get them back.

Get yourself focused in the head... remember what it felt like back when you used to swim. It will get you psyched to get you back into the sport you loved and will love for the rest of your life.

Good luck! Hope something I said helped!

jpjackson76
November 10th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Hey Ryan,

I'm only about 4 weeks back into training after a 10 year layoff. My advice is have fun, build slowly and be realistic with yourself. It will come back quicker than you think if you stay after it.