PDA

View Full Version : Use of Front Snorkel as teaching tool

Bill Cleveland
October 1st, 2004, 12:37 PM
Our team recently started using a front-mounted snorkel as a teaching tool. We have found that using this for swimmers of all ability levels helps the swimmer to concentrate on balance, streamline, arm mechanics, and body roll while swimming freestyle without the variable of turning the head to breathe.

I would like to know if there are other teams that have had success using this tool and how they use it to achieve more efficient swimming.

Thanks!

Rob Copeland
October 1st, 2004, 01:18 PM
Bill,

I haven’t used them in training, yet. But I was thinking about getting some Finis Swimmer Snorkels as a training aid for my club.

Did you go with the Finis snorkels? And what success are you noticing?

I know you were looking for answers, not more questions… Sorry!

Bill Cleveland
October 1st, 2004, 01:58 PM
Yes, we have been using the FINIS snorkel.
In the 2 weeks we have been using them, we have had individuals get a better feel for proper body position and rotation without the skewing motion of turning their head to breathe. We have a number of people who catch with an outward motion to facilitate breathing and that is being turned around. As well, we have some swimmers that have poor body rotation because they lift their head to breathe and we are working on that with them.

Some people have had a learning curve just using the snorkel and mastering the breathing through the tube. A nose clip may be useful for some folks.

One of the training advantages of the snorkel besides a focus on technique is an "Altitude" effect since there is a recycling of the air. For our team, we are looking at lower intensity sets to work on technique, but I guess it is possible to use it for cardiovascular conditioning as well by stepping up the intensity.

mbmg3282
October 5th, 2004, 12:03 PM
FINIS, a USMS sponsor, has a new version of the "Freestyler Snorkel" coming out. I believe that they are going to be showing it at their booth at the World Championships in Indy.

Randy Nutt (of St Croix and Bonaire Open Water fame) works for FINIS and told me that the USA Team used the new snorkel in training camp prior to the Olympics.

See more at http://www.finisinc.com/

CATMaster
February 22nd, 2006, 11:19 AM
We use the FINIS snorkel a lot at practice. In addition to what you've noted about allowing focus during freestyle drills, it offers an alternative to kickboards for swimmers with shoulder or neck trouble.

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 23rd, 2006, 11:28 AM
On Wednesday, I wacthed a woman use a front-mounted skorkel. I thought that her stroke looked very clumsy. After about 6 200 free and then a good 500, she took the snorkel off and swam some more. Her stroke looked much cleaner. I told her that I thought that the snorkel was being very influential in the destruction of her stroke. She thought that it interferred with her normal body motion and said that it was just an experiment.

Dave Chambers
March 17th, 2006, 05:19 AM
I have used the front snorkel with a few swimmers and it has worked really well. I have found that their strokes were more relaxed and more controlled.

Allen Stark
March 17th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I have used the front snorkle and love it. It is much easier on my shoulders. It is very important to think BODY ROLL to keep fluid. I use it mostly on warmup and cool down though,not on sets.