PDA

View Full Version : clueless swimmer

erinnelson
October 5th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Hi I am a new swimmer and I have no idea where to start. I would like to start swimming laps and need to know basics. I would like to start out slow so that I do not get discourged. If any one has step by step instruction and photos or know where to get them. I would really appreciate it.

erinnelson

Dave60625
October 5th, 2004, 02:03 PM
I picked up the book "Fitness Swimming" by Emmett Hines about a month ago and have been using that. There are 6 workout zones and each zone contains ten workouts. I just finished the 7th workout in the first zone and my freestyle form has improved quite a bit. I feel like it was money well spent and I am making progress on improving my swimming ability.

A website some other people have mentioned is the total immersion website. Total Immersion is a very popular program. Here is the link:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/

Seagurl51
November 9th, 2004, 07:52 PM
I have both Fitness Swimming and the "Four Strokes Made Easy" DVD by TI and I love them both. Definately worth the investment. Fitness Swimming really covers freestyle in an easy to understand way...and TI gives you the skills for the other strokes and helps enhance the concepts in Fitness Swimming for freestyle. Welcome to the water!!

~Kyra

Kruger
November 12th, 2004, 05:21 AM
I always loved swimming but I never swum on a regular basis, until three months ago. Within two month, I learned and mastered all four strokes (it sounds unreal but according to the professional, I am very talented and bouyant and feel relaxed in water so the learning process went pretty smooth) and now I am working on my fitness, strenght and speed.

Being through what you are going to go through makes me envious because all this learning was very exciting and I only wish I could go through it again but still, I am enjoying very much.

I would recommend that you don't rush yourself, take your time and get a lot of distance before you start doing some serious drills. Let your body get used to the water. When you feel you are ready, get some swimming drills from different sites (I can say there are tons of them on the net) and start practicing stroke technique. I would recommend that you first polish your freestyle so you can practice fitness properly; then get the breaststroke properly and practice with these two combined, then do the butterfly or back, whichever you fancy (I my self learned a great deal from GoSwim (http://www.goswim.tv ) , they have these Drill of the Week stuff wioth theoretical explanation and practical demonstration from the world caliber athletes)

stacey
November 16th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Ditto on the Hines book.

old dog
November 16th, 2004, 11:15 PM
play with the search feature on this website...learn how to
use it...with 24,000+ posts here, many of your questions have been discussed before ...happy surfing

thinkersw
December 2nd, 2004, 01:46 PM
Erin,

Utah Masters has a library of videos that you can check out to view. Email me and I will get you the information on how to get these sources. Also, find someone who can give you private lessons. There is a good Masters team in Logan, but I am not sure about Ogden. Find someone who has experience working with adults and competitive swimmers. I coach out of SLC and I have been on the Utah Masters board if you have any questions, email me. Since you are a new swimmer, getting some lessons is a good way to go because it is hard to read or watch someone swim and then apply it to yourself.

Good luck,