PDA

View Full Version : Need Info on setting up an Open Water Event

Wisdom
October 8th, 2004, 07:03 PM
I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas and we have little to no open water swimming here, even though we have some great lakes in the area.

I travel to the Austin (3 hour drive) and San Antonio (5 hour drive) areas several times each season to get to open water events. I'd love to have one locally and maybe start getting a little interest built up in this area.

The problem is I have NO idea what's involved in putting on one of these events so I'm looking for anyone who has experience in this area that wouldn't mind giving me some pointers, maybe emailing me a checklist of things I'll need to do, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wiz

Rob Copeland
October 8th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Check out the Meet directorís guide on the USMS web site:
www.usms.org/longdist/champsguide.pdf
www.usms.org/longdist/owman.pdf

USA-Swimming also has a meet directors handbook it should be somewhere ion their web site. I have it in hard copy, but canít find the e-version right now.

Wisdom
October 9th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Awesome Rob, Thanks.

Maryyyyyy
October 11th, 2004, 12:26 PM
This is so exciting! Wisdom, I want you to know you're not the only one out there wanting to organize open-water swims and wanting a little help from those with experience.
I organized a swim across the Strait of Messina (from Sicily to Calabria, Italy) on the 8th of August this year. Not knowing what the heck I was doing but wanting to do whatever I did right, I limited participation to only 10 swimmers, 2 of which are paraplegic. It was an enormous amount of work, but in the end everything went not only smoothly but just plain wonderfully! So great that all 10 of us want to do it again next year, and I get contacted all the time by tons people. Now that I did it once, I know the ropes, but any information passed on to me, from anywhere in the world where open water events take place, is highly appreciated.
I just love the way it says in the manual that doing open water events puts your town on the map. That's great!
Thanks Wisdom for your question, and thanks Rob for your wisdom!

Rob Copeland
October 14th, 2004, 03:05 PM
I found the USA-Swimming Open Water Meet Managers guide online at:
www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/_Rainbow/Documents/cb2d908a-bc13-4680-9b0a-c1a62ee3612c/Open%20Water%20Meet%20Managers%20Guide.pdf