PDA

View Full Version : fly when tired

eugene_kim
October 18th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Hi everyone,

What do you all do when you're going through a tough workout/set and it calls for fly, but you can't manage to do satisfactory fly? I was reading on the evolution of speed greetings that n8 doesn't recommend that you do fly drill or free drill when this happens. What do you all do? I was always told just right arm / left arm it or work your weaker arm etc.

I have been searching (without any luck) through previous posts to see if there was any mention of it. I was just curious as to what you guys did when you're dog tired and can't muster up some fly.

geochuck
October 18th, 2004, 06:59 PM
I do one arm fly, 3 on the left 3 on the right and if I'm to exhausted I swim it crawl.

George Park www.swimdownhill.com

strong440
October 18th, 2004, 09:03 PM
hey eugene, If'n youv'e never tried swimming with closed fists, this is a perfect time to give it a try. It should slow you down 10% and increase your stroke count by 10%, but also it'll make it possible to continue when nothing else will.

eugene_kim
October 19th, 2004, 12:47 PM
thanks. I'll give that a try. I have done/do free with close fists etc. I'll try that on fly.

Rob Copeland
October 19th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Another option is to add fins.

Usually when my fly starts to fall apart, Iíll try to work on keeping my stroke long and stretch out the reach a bit more. If it ever gets to the point where I canít hold any semblance of form, then itís time to switch to something else.

etrain
October 19th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Isn't this masters, ie you can do what you want...

We don't expect everyone to do every practice the way it is written. If you just can't do something, switch to a different stroke. We have a few how don't like to do breast, so they will switch to fly. Which makes me have to work harder in breast to beat them....

etrain01