PDA

View Full Version : Finding a coach

Seagurl51
October 21st, 2004, 05:01 PM
Hi! I, like so many here it seems, have started swimming again after some time off. I'm desperate to improve and start competing. I have ordered the TI videos and the book "Fitness Swimming" by Emmett Hines, but I feel like I'm still lacking instruction. I need some coaching. I have a few teams in my area, but the one in my town I was warned to stay away from on the advice of a good friend of mine whose judgement I greatly trust. The other teams in my area are about an hour away, making 5 am practices that much more difficult, not to mention school and my night job being increasing hard to handle. So anyway, I was wondering how I could find a coach that would be willing to work with me? I would love hands on, but being in Idaho I understand that's not very practicle, so I would settle for online coaching. However, if I do happen to find a coach willing to coach in Idaho, how much does it cost for private instruction like that? My biggest area that I am looking to improve right now is stroke efficiency to cut down my times by about 15 seconds. I have been slowing working on my technique on my own, but am starting to feel like I'm as far as I can go by myself. I have several things starting to set up for joining teams out of my area but I just wanted to extend my reach. Thank you for your time!

~Kyra

etrain
October 22nd, 2004, 09:56 AM
You might want to check out the team in your town. Just because someone has a bad experience doesn't mean that you will. I was a little apprehensive in joining the team that I am currently with, because it was a rival team from college. I have since gotten over this and I enjoy swimming at the facility and for the coach. We may not see eye to eye all the time, but that is what you will probably always have to face unless you are the coach...

I hope that everything works out for you and I think that the video will help, I have the book and learned a lot from it. :D

etrain

thinkersw
November 29th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Kyra,

If you want some tips, I would be happy to help you out. I coach everyone from 15 months to 74 years and all abilities. My speciality is triathletes and adults. I am a Masters Swimmer and if you are ever in the SLC, Utah area, I would be happy to meet with you.

Seagurl51
November 29th, 2004, 12:44 PM
I do go down to SLC everyonce in a while. Usually it's pretty spontanious, but if I ever know of a set time when I'm going then I would definatly like to maybe meet. E-mail me with more information, that would be great. Thanx a bunch!!

~Kyra