PDA

View Full Version : I beg for help

problem
October 23rd, 2004, 08:28 AM
I had an accident and I lost over a 30 pounds of muscle mass. Do someone tell me how I can restore that? I am 25 years old and I was swimming at my teens. By now the only think I can do I do exercise my self at a gym. If someone knows, I would like to tell me how I can restore this muscle mass.

Manticora
October 25th, 2004, 11:58 AM
To put that much muscle back on is going to be tough. Believe me, though, since you had the muscle mass before, it will go back on easier than if you had never had it, although it will still be a challenge.

The only way to pack on large amounts of muscle is to lift weights. Heavy...weights. This forum isn't large enough for a whole rundown, but you're going to benefit the most from doing heavy sets of 5-8 repetitions with compound exercises (movements that use multiple joints, like bench press, squats).

There are 3 exercises that make your body want to put on muscle more than any other (in order of preference):
1) dead-lifts
2) squats
3) leg presses
But don't do all three of them!

There is a book called "Testosterone Advantage" which lays out a good muscle-building diet plan along with a program to get you "jump-started" - I highly recommend it!

old dog
October 25th, 2004, 10:31 PM
write to Tom Ellison on this website

Fred Johnson
October 30th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Get the book "Body For Life" that has a great weight program that you can do in addition to swimming.

The plan basically lays out a week of alternating weight workout (for muscle development) and aerobic exercise for heart and lung health (the part where you can swim). It also has a food program designed to balance protein (muscle food) with carbos (swimming food). It is designed for weight loss and muscle and fitness development. It isn't a diet program; its a life program.

If you follow it, you should gain muscle and aerobic strength.

Good luck

Fred Johnson
October 30th, 2004, 11:17 PM
One other thought: the book is in English but may have translations if you need it. But the plan of the book is contained in about 20 pages of text so you don't have to suffer through all the testimony from satisfied customers. Also, I never paid attention to the supplements that the book suggests; I simply followed the food and workout plan which (1) was effective and (2) cut out a lot of reading that was not necessary since you are already motivated to get to it.

Good Luck, again.

jpjackson76
October 31st, 2004, 07:29 AM
At one time I was a personal trainer, I agree with Manticora. Just work your way up to the heavy weights, use proper form, lifting heavy with crummy form will get you injured. Also to put weight on either muscle or fat you must be in a calorie positive state, so eat plenty of clean/lean protiens and complex carbohydrates. Good luck to you.