PDA

View Full Version : What can I do to increase my VO2 Max?

Blue Horn
October 27th, 2004, 05:39 PM
My times really aren't that bad for my sprints of 50 yards, or even 75. From a push start, I can go 27-28 for a 50, which I assume is respectable since I just started swimming again earlier this year. My problem is that I have a hard time keeping a 1:15-1:20 100x7 with 10 to 15 seconds rest. The first 3 or 4 is no problem at all, but after that I hit a wall and am sucking air big time. Also, I am really gassed if I do flip turns. If I slow down to 1:30-1:35, I can do flip turns and go on without being to winded by the end of the set.

My question is this: What should I be focusing on to increase my VO2 Max?

Sorry if my question is to general.

Hook'em
Blue

aquageek
October 27th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Start young, grow extra aortas, call Ellison as he has the secret V02Max ingredients, and review the 45,000 previous posts on this topic.

gull
October 27th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Aquageek, I'm afraid we've had to report you to the thread police for submitting another humorous (nonserious) post. Put down the mouse, and step away from the keyboard. Come quietly and no one gets hurt.

Mr. Blue, in all seriousness, I would suggest swimming more endurance type sets--100s, 200s, 300s, etc. Swim the majority at a basic endurance level, but descend some sets to threshold or overload endurance speeds. Choose realistic intervals so you can complete the set. Kicking and pulling sets also work. Maglischo (Swimming Fastest) recommends a set length of 1200 yards or more.

I don't believe there are any shortcuts. If you're a sprinter, you need to continue to do sprint sets or you'll lose some of your speed. But remember, when the going gets tough, the sprinters get out.

Blue Horn
October 27th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Thanks,

I was thinking I should add more distance work and just slow it down.

Thanks for the info, and sorry for rehashing what seems to be such a sore subject for aquageek.

Hook'em
Blue

aquageek
October 27th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Blue Horn

Thanks for the info, and sorry for rehashing what seems to be such a sore subject for aquageek.

I have survived the endless V02Max threads for the past three years by following the directions on the label, lather, rinse, rehash.

aquageek
October 27th, 2004, 08:21 PM
In all seriousness, I agree with gull.

If I have a set with 12 X 100s, instead of doing them all on 1:20 (choose your interval that you can make), I will do say 4 at 1:35, 4 at 1:25 and 4 at 1:15. That way you get a taste of improving but also stay within your cruise or comfort pace. Eventually you will see that time fall, a second this week, two seconds next month, etc. Or choose a good interval and descen within that set. I'm a firm believer in descending, especially when you think you can't do it.

Blue Horn
October 27th, 2004, 10:00 PM
I like the idea of descending times.

Thanks

Hook'em
Blue

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 1st, 2004, 11:51 AM
I have asthma but also have 12 liter lungs. I do 10 or 12 x 100's to increase lung capacity and also blow uyp large balloons. Many people think it is nuts that I do this. almsot every pulmonolgist has told me to do it. It really seems to help me keep my lungs going. Many peole think the intake of oxygen is the most important part of breathing. But ask any asthmatic, it is getting the bad gases out. Exhaling is extremely inportant.

If you are not a distance swimmer, swimming distance isn't going to help your lungs for short distances.

ande
May 12th, 2005, 04:20 PM
consistently swim fairly hard repeat sets with not much rest
be patient

ande